Urgently, Desperately Need Help With Applying Disco Dust!!!

Decorating By yummymummycakes Updated 1 Jul 2013 , 4:30pm by still_learning

yummymummycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummymummycakes Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 11:40am
post #1 of 13

I am in the process of making the Wilton Romantic Castle cake for my daughters 2nd birthday for Saturday.

I have covered the turrets and painted then in luster dust but I want to add disco dust for sparkly effect for her.

She is autistic and suffers from epilepsy as well, and is attracted to sparkly things.

How do I make the disco dust 'stick' to the turrets please???

12 replies
joeycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joeycakes Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 11:55am
post #2 of 13

Hello!
I have never made disco dust, just purchased pre-made. I usually apply the disco dust with a little piping gel.
Can you make disco dust?
Good Luck!
Leaha

snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 12:04pm
post #3 of 13

To my knowledge you can't make this - you need to purhase it. Here is an example:

http://www.globalsugarart.com/product.php?id=19540

Not sure if this would be sparkly enough, but if you are in a rush and can't purchase any disco, can you add some sanding sugar?

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 12:04pm
post #4 of 13

Okay, I've never used it (but I have some sitting in the kitchen waiting for a project) but, I've read that people put it in their hand and blow it on the cake... Obviously there's some sanitary issues there, so can you try a dry paintbrush?

yummymummycakes Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 12:06pm
post #5 of 13

Sorry for the confusion.

The question was actually meant to ask:

How do I make ddust 'stick' to the fondant. These turrets need to sparkle like diamonds icon_lol.gif

For her 1st birthday she virtually ignored the cake, I mean she had no interest in smashing anything. icon_cry.gif

The only thing she likes to grab at the moment is anything that sparkles. I would really like to see my baby interested at least in her cake.

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 12:11pm
post #6 of 13

You need to abbreviate it...

snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 1:13pm
post #7 of 13

Oops - I misunderstood. I very thinly apply piping gel and using a small palette knife to sprinkle on the d isco dust. If you turrets are not attached to the cake yet, you can put the dust on a plate and roll the turrets on it.

Let us know how she likes the cake!

ETA: if your cake is already put together and you apply the dust, it will sprinkle around a lot so if you only want the turrets dusted, you should cover the rest of the cake with saran wrap. You'll be seeing little sparkles around your kitchen for weeks icon_wink.gif

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 1:14pm
post #8 of 13

Brush some piping gel onto the fondant to act as glue. To 'blow' it onto the cake, put a little dust on a flat piece of cardboard and hold it close to the cake, then use an empty squeeze bottle to blow the dust on. Don't put the dust in your bare hand because it will stick.

If you can, place the cake or items you're dusting inside a large baking sheet or cake pan so you can collect the 'overblow' (?) and reuse it.

Good luck!

joeycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joeycakes Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 1:34pm
post #9 of 13

I have no idea what happened to my post - most of the text was deleted except for the giant words!!!!

I always use piping gel to apply disco dust - try using a very thin layer.

Leaha

missyek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyek Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 1:34pm
post #10 of 13

D isco dust will stick to anything so there is no need to add piping gel at all. I use it ALL the time on BC and fondant cakes and just blow it on.

yummymummycakes Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 5:10pm
post #11 of 13

Thanks for all your help with this ladies.

I ended up painting on the luster dust and whilst still wet dusted on the D Dust.

The turrets are looking gorgeous.

Now I am off to bake either cupcakes or cookies. I am so far behind with all the stuff to prepare. Daughter has had a bad day with seizures and has already had 2 since I last posted.

Once again thanks for all your help, I think I was getting myself in such a tizz over something so simple.

Thanks again, you are all lifesavers!

Trenice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Trenice Posted 1 Jul 2013 , 3:05pm
post #12 of 13

thank you!! I it funny when you see an idea a "light bulb" magically appears over your head LOL

still_learning Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
still_learning Posted 1 Jul 2013 , 4:30pm
post #13 of 13

AI'm glad it worked out for you so well! I just wanted you to know I understand the emotions you have tied to this cake. I have two boys - one who has autism and the other is a bit young to know but we've already started therapy. Birthdays, and specifically cakes, can be so difficult. My younger son didn't touch a bite of his smash cake on his 1st birthday and actually freaked out when well meaning friends tried to force him to eat it. I haven't been able to make an actual cake for my older boy since he turned 1 because he'd be WAY too upset if we cut into Lightening McQueen or some other creation - he doesn't like things that are broken. Birthday candles are absolutely terrifying so all b-day parties are difficult. With my older boy I have had to be pretty creative to fulfill his birthday cupcake wishes but, like you, it was so important to find something that really got through to him. Also, a quick reminder that disco dust is not, technically, edible.

Just wanted to say that your post touched me and I hope you daughter is feeling well and has a wonderful birthday!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%