Need Help Making Fondant Silver

Decorating By smc_paralegal Updated 6 Aug 2008 , 9:49pm by varika

smc_paralegal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smc_paralegal Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 8:47pm
post #1 of 9

I have been asked to do my first wedding cake in October, and I am very nervous. The bride finally gave me a picture of the cake and when I realized that Ron Ben-Israel designed the cake I got even more nervous. Okay, so here is my question. The cake is pink with silver fondant decorations. I e-mailed Ron and asked how he got the silver and the response that I got said it was painted on there. So can someone please tell me what type of paint to use to get this effect. Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I want to experiment before I actually do it on the cake.

8 replies
chovest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chovest Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 8:52pm
post #2 of 9

I'm not sure which cake exactly you're referring to, but you can use silver Luster Dust mixed with Vodka (or extract containing alcohol) and paint it on. I did this with my Dodge Ram truck cake for the bumpers and such. Don't use water, it doesn't evaporate well enough, and it will become sticky.

varika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
varika Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 8:52pm
post #3 of 9

You want silver luster dust. Mix it with something that has a high concentration of alcohol--like Everclear or Vodka, though some people also recommend lemon extract, I think--and paint it on. The alcohol will evaporate and leave just the silver color.

karensjustdessert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karensjustdessert Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 8:52pm
post #4 of 9

You can buy NuSilver dust and mix it very sparingly with vodka or everclear, and paint it onto the fondant that way. I've neve seen it sold in stores; I've had to order it online, but fortunately, a little goes a very long way.
It is best to practice with this, no doubt.

Lady_Phoenix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lady_Phoenix Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 8:59pm
post #5 of 9

I used NuSilver as well to make guitar parts silver, then used silve luster dust all over for a sparkly effect

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 9:01pm
post #6 of 9

I mix NuSilver with clear vanilla. No lemon taste or smell and I generally dont' keep alcohol in the house.

smc_paralegal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smc_paralegal Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 9:03pm
post #7 of 9

I would post a picture of the cake but when I try it tells me the picture has to be 800 x 800 and I have no idea how to do this. So if you want to see the picture, I will send it to you in an e-mail.

Thank you everyone for the information. I am going after work to buy luster dust.

Shanille21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shanille21 Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 9:22pm
post #8 of 9

Where can you purchase Nusilver? And will it dry opaque or with a glittery look? (If thats makes sense?)

Also, I have been using luster dust and when i paint it onto my fondant it has been streaky. All i have in my house is strawberry flavored vodka...would the flavor change the way it evaporates?

Hope i didnt hijack the thread!!

~Shannon

varika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
varika Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 9:49pm
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanille21

Where can you purchase Nusilver? And will it dry opaque or with a glittery look? (If thats makes sense?)

Also, I have been using and when i paint it onto my fondant it has been streaky. All i have in my house is strawberry flavored vodka...would the flavor change the way it evaporates?

Hope i didnt hijack the thread!!

~Shannon

You're using such a small ammount of vodka, it probably won't impart enough flavor to be noticeable. Give it a try on some scraps of fondant to find out. You could also practice your stroke that way; streaky indicates (coming from a painter) that your brush doesn't have enough liquid on it for a smooth coat. You could add another drop or two of liquid to your 'paint.' Or, you could add a touch more powder and see if THAT works. It could even be that the powder isn't mixed well enough and is just clumping in places, creating streaks. It's hard to tell, so I would just practice, practice, practice. A little bit goes so far, practice is unlikely to break your bank.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%