Fondant/gum Past Mix

Decorating By srodts Updated 6 Aug 2008 , 3:53pm by snowshoe1

srodts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
srodts Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 2:46pm
post #1 of 6

Ok all you wonderful people out in CC land, once again I need your help!
I need to make some fondant animals for a birthday cake and I have read posts here (but now can't find them) that say fondant dries better and harder if it has gum paste in it. So my question is (I make my own MMF) how much gum paste do I put in my MMF? I bought the wilton gum past powder mix stuff and have never used it before. Or should I use just gum paste?
Any and all help would be great!!
Thanks again guys you all rock!!!

5 replies
snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 2:52pm
post #2 of 6

I usually use 50/50 GP/fondant. The wilton is fine to use (but I prefer the Nicholas Lodge recipe). I don't like using straight GP because it dries so quickly (unless I really need the strength for delicate petals, etc...). If your animals are small and you think they will be eaten, I suggest you just use fondant - the mix of fondant and GP will make it dry faster and harder; but if you're not in a hurry...

srodts Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 3:01pm
post #3 of 6

snowshoe1
Thanks for the info. when you say 50/50 do I make up the gum paste then mix it with the fondat? Sorry if this is a crazy question but I have never worked with gum paste and worked a little with fondant but want to learn more.
Thanks again

snowshoe1 Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 3:06pm
post #4 of 6

You got it thumbs_up.gif - make up your GP, take an equal amount of fondant, and knead the two together very well. Keep it covered at much as possible so it doesn't dry out. Add a little shortening if it is too difficult to work with.

srodts Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 3:09pm
post #5 of 6

Sweet, thank you so much for your help!!!!!!!!!!
You rock.

snowshoe1 Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 3:53pm
post #6 of 6

icon_redface.gif

Hope it works well for you. Feel free to PM me if needed.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%