Frozen Cakes

Decorating By something_sweet Updated 6 Aug 2008 , 6:58pm by DebBTX

something_sweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
something_sweet Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 10:01am
post #1 of 7

I had such a busy week this week, I had to bake my cakes ahead, so I put them in the freezer. Does anyone know, do I have to let them completely thaw before I ice them, or can I icing them while they are still frozen/cold?

6 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 10:12am
post #2 of 7

I usually get started when they are partially frozen. Cakes only take a few minutes to thaw ... maybe an hour or so for the bigger ones. It's not like hamburger that takes all day. thumbs_up.gif

something_sweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
something_sweet Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 12:41pm
post #3 of 7

great! Thank you!!!

DebBTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DebBTX Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 1:03pm
post #4 of 7

Indydebi is right. I bet you will find it easier to work with a cold cake. It seems to me that the crumb coat over a cold cake holds in that extra moisture.

-Debbie B.

danijus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
danijus Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 4:10pm
post #5 of 7

New to all this so this may be a dumb question but won't working with a semi frozen cake cause condensation under the icing and possibly a blowout.

DebBTX Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 6:38pm
post #6 of 7

I have never had a problem with a cake that had been frozen. I like the layers to be in the freezer at least 1 hour, though most spend the night in there.

I have noticed that it takes twice as long for my chocolate fudge, mocha, etc. to thaw, verses the Southern Butter, Almond, etc. I don't know why.

I have never final frosted a frozen cake. I would worry about cake sweating, and the settling that takes place as it softens to room temperature.
I do fill and crumb coat over the semi-frozen cake. I allow it to thaw completely before I try to measure for the support columns, or before I put the final coat of frosting on it. I have only covered a room temperature cake with fondant.

I use Wilton's hidden colums and the matching plastic support plates under my cardboards. They stay in place and don't shift.

-Debbie B.

DebBTX Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 6:58pm
post #7 of 7

I am giving y'all the web address of another decorator that believes in freezing her cakes. I love looking at her gorgeous work.

www.carriescakes.com

Go down the page to the video selection called "Take a Tour".

I love seeing how others do such a nice job on their cakes.

Well, what do you think?

-Debbie B.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%