Wedding Cake Tier Question

Decorating By kellertur Updated 6 Aug 2008 , 10:10am by indydebi

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 2:33am
post #1 of 5

Hello,
Can a tiered wedding cake be delivered already assembled, or is that just an inane question??? Is this even possible? Too risky? Heavy?
(Maybe I'm a rebel... icon_rolleyes.gif )

I recently did my first wedding cake, assembled on location, but it was a real time crunch putting it together, panicked I would screw something up. Luckily no disasters... this time icon_confused.gif

thanks icon_smile.gif

4 replies
lorrieg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorrieg Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 3:03am
post #2 of 5

I deliver mine already assembled most of the time. You need a good support system. I still take a repair kit.

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 3:09am
post #3 of 5

What constitutes a good support system? Board, etc?

thanks for the help.

lorrieg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorrieg Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 3:15am
post #4 of 5

Cake boards, plastic dowels or bubble tea straws and then a long dowel through the cake from the top to the bottom.

Or the SPS system. You can see it at Bakery Crafts or Oasis supply. And I'm sure lots of other places if you google it. It's cake plates that snap into dowels that you put in the cake.

leahs here on CC is a staunch supporter of SPS and she uses it all the time. You could pm her. thumbs_up.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 10:10am
post #5 of 5

Cakes can be done either way. I only recently started delivering mine assembled or partially assembled, but the one this past weekend (4 tier) was delivered in 4 pcs and assembled on site.

I always allow an hour ... arrive one hour prior to the time when guests were told the reception will start. Even with assembly, I'm in and out in about 10-15 minutes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%