Rolled Buttercream Vs Fondant ?

Decorating By dee-lite Updated 6 Aug 2008 , 4:08pm by aswartzw

dee-lite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dee-lite Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 3:05pm
post #1 of 8

So far I only have used Buttercream and tried fondant (hated the taste). I am however frustrated at the limitations in decorative possibilities such as sculpting ,cutouts, etc., and wondered if rolled buttercream behaves like fondant yet hopefully tastes like buttercream. Anybodies thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

7 replies
aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 8:30pm
post #2 of 8

Rolled BC is much softer than fondant. It's super stretchy and unless it's cold, I can never work with it. I know people will use it on cakes but it's rare and I believe they have more trouble with it than it's worth.

Now the real question is.... What fondant did you make? If you tried Wilton, it's awful and should not even be classified as edible. Disgusting stuff. If that's all you have tried, then you definitely need to try other fondants. Satin Ice gets great reviews, as well as Pettinice, and I love MMF (I make it using Rhonda's Ultimate recipe from the CC section).

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 8:37pm
post #3 of 8

I personally think that rolled bc is the nastiest stuff ever conceived. I'll eat Wilton fondant first. It's like greasy bad fondant. yuk. And difficult to work with also.

However, I loooove Satin Ice. Pettinice is also good. I haven't tried Fondx but a lot of people seem to like it.

dee-lite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dee-lite Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 8:56pm
post #4 of 8

OK I will try fondant (satin ice ) again 'cuz I really want to do more with "sculpting"...Thanks guys

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 10:14pm
post #5 of 8

My family aren't fondant eaters either, but Satin Ice is well-liked by everyone. It also works up very well.

Michelle104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michelle104 Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 11:29pm
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by aswartzw

Rolled BC is much softer than fondant. It's super stretchy and unless it's cold, I can never work with it. I know people will use it on cakes but it's rare and I believe they have more trouble with it than it's worth.

Now the real question is.... What fondant did you make? If you tried Wilton, it's awful and should not even be classified as edible. Disgusting stuff. If that's all you have tried, then you definitely need to try other fondants. Satin Ice gets great reviews, as well as Pettinice, and I love MMF (I make it using Rhonda's Ultimate recipe from the CC section).

How is MMF to work with compared to Satin Ice? Do you know? I've used Satin Ice and tried MMF one time a loooonnnnggg time ago. Didn't like how it worked and have been using SI since. I really wonder if I gave it a real chance though as I hadn't ever done any kind of fondant at all.....what do you think?

mclaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mclaren Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 1:22am
post #7 of 8

i use michele foster's and it is easy to work with. tastes good too. well... i also put tons of flavoring in it, so i guess that contributed to the taste as well.

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 4:08pm
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle104

Quote:
Originally Posted by aswartzw

How is MMF to work with compared to Satin Ice? Do you know? I've used Satin Ice and tried MMF one time a loooonnnnggg time ago. Didn't like how it worked and have been using SI since. I really wonder if I gave it a real chance though as I hadn't ever done any kind of fondant at all.....what do you think?

I've never tried Satin Ice so I can't compare. MMF was the 2nd fondant I used (my first was Colette Peter's forever ago and disaster struck with that one). I really would like to try Satin Ice but, for what I'm doing, it's not worth the $$. Lately, I've been havign issues with it being really sticky, so I'll just have to see...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%