Fondant Picket Fence

Decorating By lauralee422 Updated 31 Aug 2008 , 10:24pm by lauralee422

lauralee422 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lauralee422 Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 8:12pm
post #1 of 13

Hey All! I am trying to create a picket fence out of fondant to be flush against my cake. It is going to be the bottom layer of a three tiered cake. So I wanted to do green fondant with a white picket fence on top of it..Would u suggest cutting them free hand and laying them on one at a time, not dried out?? Also, would u connect it with a thin line? As always, any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

12 replies
BakingGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingGirl Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 8:31pm
post #2 of 13

If the fence will be higher than the cake, ai not have any support behind it on the top, then I would do the fence first and dry it. That way it won't sag at the top. If the fence is fully supported by the cake I'd do it straight on the cake.

I would connect with a thin line. You could probably pipe it on in RI, or extrude with a clay gun to speed it up a bit. Otherwise it could be fiddly.

nefcook21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nefcook21 Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 8:31pm
post #3 of 13

Lauralee--I made a cake with a picket fence and I had a pattern and cut out the fence and put it on the cake not dried. if you will pm me with your email I will send you the pattern I used.

jules1719 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules1719 Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 8:33pm
post #4 of 13

Why use fondant? Make the pickets out of gumpaste. They will be more refined (thinner, less clunky) and can be made ahead of time. Attach with a dot of royal icing.

vagostino Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vagostino Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 8:35pm
post #5 of 13

i would cut the whole thing on a strip using a template...maybe look for one online, and then apply it to the cake as a border let's say. Don;t let it dry too much or it will crack when it curves to take the shape of the cake. Just my two cents cause i never done it before. I just think if you cut piece by piece it will have to be perfect alignement to minimize the seams.

Mencked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mencked Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 8:43pm
post #6 of 13

I made a picket fence that extended above my cake. I used a fondant/gumpaste mixture, cut the pieces out using a straight edge and pizza cutter and allowed them to dry before putting on the cake--you can see the fence in my avatar. I just glued the fence onto the BC frosted cake with more BC.

sportsmom005 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sportsmom005 Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 8:45pm
post #7 of 13

I made a template and cut mine out of fondant. It's on the Clifford Cake in my pics.

sportsmom005 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sportsmom005 Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 8:45pm
post #8 of 13

I made a template and cut mine out of fondant. It's on the Clifford Cake in my pics.

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 9:02pm
post #9 of 13

I also made a template and made sections of the fence at a time. I was putting them on a round cake and like you said wanted them to fit flush against the cake. So - I put them on while they were still somewhat pliable so that the fence would conform to the round shape of the cake. I thought they lined up pretty well. I cut mine using an exacto knife.

lauralee422 Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 12:00am
post #10 of 13

Thank you all so much for the great advice and nefcook21 for the template. I am going to try to print out a template and use gumpaste and do a few the day before the cake. Wish me luck!!!!

lauralee422 Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 12:00am
post #11 of 13

Thank you all so much for the great advice and nefcook21 for the template. I am going to try to print out a template and use gumpaste and do a few the day before the cake. Wish me luck!!!!

Lady_Phoenix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lady_Phoenix Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 12:07am
post #12 of 13

One thing you can also do to be sure it conforms to the cake is get a piece of styrofoam or a cake dummy, lay the pieces on that to dry. I did that with a banner for the front of a cake and it fit perfectly.

lauralee422 Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 10:24pm
post #13 of 13

Hi I ended up using an exacto knife also and made my fence in sections, I tried to apply to the cake while it was still pliable but the top of the fence was above the cake so I had to let it dry a bit. I didn't have styrofoam although that was a great idea.. I ended up just using the cake pan. It was ok, but the pcs didn't line up properly and I was a bit dissapointed. Oh well, next time I know! The cake is in my photos in case you'd like to check it out. Thanks again for all the advice.icon_smile.gif Everyone still loved the cake including the birthday boy!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%