My First Wedding Cake! Help Please :d

Decorating By Nicolle711 Updated 4 Aug 2008 , 7:22pm by Nicolle711

Nicolle711 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nicolle711 Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 1:27pm
post #1 of 16

Hiya! Well my cake tasting went really well yesterday and I got the job for my sisters friend's wedding. I am super excited since this is my first wedding cake.

I have a few questions though on cake pan sizes. I have attached the cake design the bride wants but I am not sure what cake pan sizes the tiers are, 14 & 10??? Can anyone give me an idea?

Also, I need to make enough cake for 200 people. 150 are confirmed but she wants to make sure there is enough cake just in case those who haven't rsvp'ed show up. So how many sheet cakes would I have to make in addition to the tiers and what sheet cake size pans will I need?

Sorry for all the questions, just not sure how to calculate the pan sizes Embarassed

Thanks for all your help!!!
LL

15 replies
danijus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
danijus Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 3:21pm
post #2 of 16

Congrats on your first wedding! The cake she picked is simple but very elegant. The tiers in the pic look kinda small like maybe a 10" and 8". Can't help on how much you'll need (sorry) just wanted to wish you good luck. If you go to the wilton website or earlenes cakes they have charts on how many servings for each size pan. HTH

Nicolle711 Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 3:36pm
post #3 of 16

Thanks a bunch! thumbs_up.gif I did think it was small 2 tier but she wanted a simple but elegant design and she loved this one I picked out. I would much rather it be a small cake since I have no experience applying fondant on cakes larger than 12", lol! I think I will do a 10" & 8". I just need help figuring out the sheet cake pans sizes and how many I will need to make.

Thank you for your suggestions! icon_biggrin.gif

KatieKake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatieKake Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 3:54pm
post #4 of 16

I think you should go with a 8 and 12, rather than 8 and 10. In the picture there is more than a 1 inch between the layers.

shorty56 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shorty56 Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 3:57pm
post #5 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieKake

I think you should go with a 8 and 12, rather than 8 and 10. In the picture there is more than a 1 inch between the layers.

agreed, that pic is definitely not an 8/10.

Nicolle711 Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 3:59pm
post #6 of 16

Thanks Katie, I did take another look at the pic and you are right, there seems to be more than 1 inch difference between cake tiers.

And danijus, I just went on Wilton and found the cake chart which also gives me the sheet cake dimensions I need! Thanks a bunch!!!

I will probably have more questions since the wedding is in less than 3 weeks
icon_surprised.gif So please bare with me icon_biggrin.gif

yelle66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yelle66 Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 4:10pm
post #7 of 16

That is very funny b/c I am doing my first wedding cake next month and it is for 150 people and her colors are red, black and white. It will probably be similar to that cake only round.

Good luck!

Nicolle711 Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 4:14pm
post #8 of 16

lol! I love that cake because it is so simple yet so classy!

My bride wants fresh stargazer lillies on it and her colors will be black, white and dark purple. I am going to get a nice sheer purple material and put lights under it to dress up the front of the cake for presentation. As well as add a few bunches of stargazer lillies on the table. I can't wait!!! icon_biggrin.gif

I figured out what I am going to do with the sheet pans. 11x15 sheet pans serve around 60 people, so I will do 2 of them so they will have enough cake just in case they cut a little bigger in pieces icon_wink.gif And 8" & 12" tier will have to do icon_biggrin.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 4:19pm
post #9 of 16

I'd suggest that you do kitchen cakes rather than sheet cakes for the additional servings.

CoutureCakeCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoutureCakeCreations Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 4:20pm
post #10 of 16

It looks to me like a 12" and 8".

Nicolle711 Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 4:24pm
post #11 of 16

Hi Leah...btw what do you mean by "kitchen cakes" icon_redface.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by leahs

I'd suggest that you do kitchen cakes rather than sheet cakes for the additional servings.

kimmypooh79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimmypooh79 Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 5:08pm
post #12 of 16
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 6:42pm
post #13 of 16

I also have it explained on my website. "The language of cake."

Nicolle711 Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 6:48pm
post #14 of 16

What is your website? icon_biggrin.gif

Quote:

I also have it explained on my website. "The language of cake."

biancas_mommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
biancas_mommy Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 7:14pm
post #15 of 16

just click the "www" button at the bottom of leahs' post to go to her website. icon_smile.gif

Nicolle711 Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 7:22pm
post #16 of 16

Now I understand what you mean Leah icon_redface.gif Yes! I definitely will do kitchen cakes rather than sheet cakes.

Quote:

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%