How Often Have You Heard This?

Business By jules1719 Updated 2 Oct 2008 , 4:27pm by sweettoothmom

CoutureCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoutureCake Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 5:15pm
post #31 of 40

I get the "We're not cake people" all the time... Most of them have just had cheap big box frozen cakes and never a freshly made cake before whether that be scratch or mix. What I do is I tell them that all I have for the tasting is cake, but that I also do dessert buffets but that the price is comperable to having a centerpiece cake because of the variety. Usually that and tasting the cake itself are enough of a barrier break that it does the closing for me.

When I get the "simple" request, I make it an educating point to say simple to one baker and simple to another are completely different animals. They see my "simplest" cake design and the price and usually they want something a lot more fancy (yet simple for me)...

CoutureCake Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 5:15pm
post #32 of 40

I get the "We're not cake people" all the time... Most of them have just had cheap big box frozen cakes and never a freshly made cake before whether that be scratch or mix. What I do is I tell them that all I have for the tasting is cake, but that I also do dessert buffets but that the price is comperable to having a centerpiece cake because of the variety. Usually that and tasting the cake itself are enough of a barrier break that it does the closing for me.

When I get the "simple" request, I make it an educating point to say simple to one baker and simple to another are completely different animals. They see my "simplest" cake design and the price and usually they want something a lot more fancy (yet simple for me)...

CoutureCake Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 5:16pm
post #33 of 40

cakedout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedout Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 5:46pm
post #34 of 40

What makes me laugh is they come to me wanting "simple"...then after looking at my photos, they decide that they want something with a little more 'flair'! icon_lol.gif

and sometimes I just want to tell that bride that "isn't a cake person"..oh-that's OK honey, you'll probably never get to eat some anyway! icon_lol.gif Too bad you'll miss having the best cake you've ever eaten at a wedding!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 7:32pm
post #35 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakedout

and sometimes I just want to tell that bride that "isn't a cake person"..oh-that's OK honey, you'll probably never get to eat some anyway!

I DO tell them that!! "Oh that doesn't matter because the only cake you'll actually eat is that bite you get during the photo!"

jules1719 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules1719 Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 8:28pm
post #36 of 40

About four months ago, I had a consult with a bride who insisted she just wanted something simple. Then she pulled out a tear sheet of the Martha Stewart basketweave cake... you know, the square one with all the intricate basket weave/ wicker work on it. You can imagine how the rest of the consult went... and in the end she did book, just not that cake.

But it's absolutely true that "simple" can be the most subjective of words.

In a near related topic, I also hate when the say "we aren't cake people" and "no one will eat it" and then they hit you with "we want 100 servings even though there are 250 ppl. " Which, technically, I don't care, but then they hit you with "do you think reducing the number of servings is OK?" I never know how to answer that. I usually defer and say "it's YOUR cake... we'll make it as big or as little as you want..."

icon_biggrin.gif

jules1719 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules1719 Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 8:30pm
post #37 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

I DO tell them that!! "Oh that doesn't matter because the only cake you'll actually eat is that bite you get during the photo!"

NICE! I will remember that.

sweettoothmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettoothmom Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 10:13pm
post #38 of 40

Some peoples kids! I swonny

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 2:50pm
post #39 of 40

I have a friend who HATES Italian food! icon_eek.gificon_confused.gif Why? I ask... As it turns out his dad made them Chef Boyardee his whole life and called it Italian so that's what he grew up thinking it was... icon_smile.gif Don't these "I'm not a cake person" types understand what the point of a "cake tasting" is for??? icon_rolleyes.gif

sweettoothmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettoothmom Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 4:27pm
post #40 of 40

icon_cry.gif My in laws are like this! They only eat pies. SO I volunteer to bring the dessert every time we HAVE to go over there and I NEVER bring PIE!

icon_twisted.gif
Funny how I never have any leftover either!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%