Piped Roses

Decorating By lynseyg2002 Updated 3 Aug 2008 , 4:48pm by DaisyLisa17

lynseyg2002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lynseyg2002 Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 1:19pm
post #1 of 7

Does anyone have a good recipe to use for piped roses? I have asked so many but the recipies are often too thin and the roses run into nothing.I've looked in the recipe section, but they all use shortening and being from England, we only use butter. Has anyone tried it with Royal Icing, does it look better than buttercream? HYCH

6 replies
playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 1:20pm
post #2 of 7

I prefer roses made with royal icing to those made with BC. I think they hold color, and their shape, so much better. Unfortunately, I do not always have the opportunity to use them.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

something_sweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
something_sweet Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 1:38pm
post #3 of 7

Yes, roses with RI are awesome! They come out so much nicer than BC and you can make them ahead and keep them for when you need them.

lynseyg2002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lynseyg2002 Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 3:23pm
post #4 of 7

I've just tried RI roses, but the icing was too thick at first and the edges cracked so I thinned it so slightly and it seemed to melt into itself. what am I doing wrong? icon_cry.gif

Luby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Luby Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 4:21pm
post #5 of 7

Royal icing can be a pain you have high humidity or if you haven't degreased all of your utensils. Do not use anything plastic to mix or store royal icing. Before I begin I degrease everything that will come in contact with the icing even down to measuring spoons and the beaters on my mixer. I use hot soapy water with white vinegar added to cut any grease. A plastic container will usually have a small grease residue no matter how many times you wash it. It's just not worth taking a chance.

You may have added to much water - it only takes a drop at a time to get a thinner consistency.

misabel99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misabel99 Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 4:46pm
post #6 of 7

I had the same problem with IR I couldn't get the right consistency and the edges cracked. Now I use Fondant for my roses and they are really easy to make.

DaisyLisa17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DaisyLisa17 Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 4:48pm
post #7 of 7

Ditto Luby!! You couldnt have said it any better. If your tips have the slightest amount of grease buildup in them, the royal will come out of them runny. Blah! But, I agree with the others... using the royal over BC for any flower makes the edges so smooth and perfect. And its great to be able to make them ahead of time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%