School Shopping For Boys

Lounge By mbelgard Updated 5 Aug 2008 , 3:31am by susanmm23

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 7:41pm
post #1 of 16

We're starting to school shop and I just need to vent because I'm getting frustrated.

My boys are super skinny, my 9 year old is 4'9" and has a 22" waist and my 5 year old is just under 4' with a 20" waist. Even the slim size pants are too baggy and the looser styles like cargos can't be bought even in slims. The adjustable waist pants look awful on them because they have to be cinched in so far that they get a gathered look, the last pair we bought for one of the boys had to be pulled in at least 8 holes on each side.

Shirts are a nightmare, if they're long enough they look like tents, if they fit around in any way they're too short. They don't sell slim sizes in shirts and many are supposed to be baggy on normal boys.

So now I'm going to get to hear from my MIL when she sees their new clothes about how I need to buy the boys clothes in their size instead of too big Never mind that I've explained a million times that right now all the boys pants are relaxed fit or worse and I am buying them clothes in the proper sizes. My husband has been getting pissed about her comments too because he figures she should know how impossible it is to dress skinny boys, his pants are all 32-33" waists with 36" inseams.

That's my little vent for the day.

15 replies
susanmm23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanmm23 Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 9:10pm
post #2 of 16

i am there with you. i have 3 boys. 2 of them are tall and think the youngest one is the only one that its easy to shop for.

my 11 year old can still fit in a 5 in the waist but needs a 10 for the length. so you guessed it adjustable waistbands. i find old navy has the best choice for pants for them. we get boot cut ones but they have slims and straight legs as well. as far as shirts go.... i buy cotton that shrinks lol. that way its still long enough but doesnt swallow them. also i think the waistbands look weird once they are pulled in so we cover it with an unnecessary belt. lol makes it look a lot better.

2 years ago it was impossible to buy jeans for the 2 older ones so we did athletic pants that had strings to tighten them

mommabear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommabear Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 10:27pm
post #3 of 16

Oh I can SO relate!! We have the same problem with my 8 year old! Last year we tried the athletic pants too but it would never fail, one trip to the playground and there went the knees!!! It's impossible to find jeans for him because he is so tall and slim.

mbelgard Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 11:53pm
post #4 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by susanmm23

as far as shirts go.... i buy cotton that shrinks lol. that way its still long enough but doesnt swallow them.

The only problem with that is that half the t-shirts shrink in length rather than width so they're still too fat but are too short. icon_lol.gif

I did find something while shopping today, some of the new Arizona jeans at JC Penney come in slim sizes with an adjustable waist. party.gif I ordered a couple pair to see how they work, they'll need to be pulled in a little but I figure that it won't be enough to cause alot of bunching at the waist. I've never seen them like this, I don't live where there are lots of stores and the only adjustable waists I've found have only come in regular sizes.

susanmm23 Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 1:24am
post #5 of 16

check old navy online and childrens place

shooterstrigger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shooterstrigger Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 2:28pm
post #6 of 16

Have you tried Levis 550. Those are the only jeans my little fella can keep up. The shirts don't bother me so bad but maybe you could find a seamstress to take them in a bit? Good luck

mbelgard Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 3:20pm
post #7 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooterstrigger

Have you tried Levis 550. Those are the only jeans my little fella can keep up. The shirts don't bother me so bad but maybe you could find a seamstress to take them in a bit? Good luck

No I haven't tried those. I've already ordered our pants for this year but next time I have them somewhere to buy pants I'll have to look at them.

As far as the shirts what bothers me most about them is that they bother my MIL and she B!&$hs to me about how I buy their clothes too big for the boys. Listening to her harp about them is what really gives me nightmares unless I'm looking for a shirt for something special. I do wish they would fit better but I'm not worried enough to alter them.[/img]

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 3:49pm
post #8 of 16

I have that problem with my 7 yr old also...He is very thin but tall so I have to buy the bigger sizes for the length in pants but the waist is way to big!!

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 5:46pm
post #9 of 16

My oldest 2 kids are tall and thin and it looks like the youngest 2 will be following the same route down the road.
I have to buy slims for my daughter which is getting harder to find the older she gets.
I only get jeans for my son at JCPenny. The Arizona brand (as mentioned above) have the adjustable waist on the inside of the jeans. They have been a life saver for us. He wears a size 6/7 pant with a 3 waist.

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 9:06pm
post #10 of 16

I had the same problem growing up and also with my son when he was younger. I'm 5'10 and growing up I was a stick! Wish I could say that now! My sisters' clothes didn't fit me either, but I had to make do when we were tight on money and I needed clothes (one was as tall as me, but heavier, so her clothes were baggy on me; the other one was thin like me, but very short, so her pants were like floods on me!).

My son just turned 11, is 5'4, but weighs 115, so he finally fits clothes...men's smalls he is in and wears 10 in shoes! Yikes! I can't imagine what size he will be in in high school, but I'm hoping he keeps lovin basketball! icon_smile.gif

tchrmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tchrmom Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 1:03am
post #11 of 16

I have a 5 year old who is 3'7" and 38.5 pounds. I really understand, so consider it my vent too. Shorts aren't that big a problem since length can vary anyway. He can wear 2T and 3T. Pants are nightmare. I like the adjustable waist, and will add someone's idea of a belt to cover the weird bunching.

Any other ideas?

imagine76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagine76 Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 8:30pm
post #12 of 16

my kids are younger -my oldest is 6, and they're all skinny minnies. (wish i could say they got it from me!) here's where i've had luck, gap has good slims, and we got a couple of good fitting pairs at jc penney, and kohl's slims are ok too. gap is going to be more expensive of course. we have a gap outlet in town and they were still 20-$25 each. i guess if we had another little girl to pass them down to it wouldn't bother me to pay that much. i did find a pair of carter's in size 6 that don't look completely rediculous cinched up with the adjustable waist.

old navy are gigantic and so are most of the children's place (really unfortunate since my sister-in-law gets a discount for working there!)
icon_smile.gif
if anyone knows of other sources let me know.

mbelgard Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 1:25am
post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine76

i guess if we had another little girl to pass them down to it wouldn't bother me to pay that much.

My boys tear pants up so bad that I never have any to pass down. icon_cry.gif My youngest is terrible, he's been known to take brand new re-enforced knees out in less than a month playing inside. icon_rolleyes.gif

My 9 year old is still wearing the same size pants he had last year but he's wrecked all of them. I am figuring that since he'll probably outgrow his current size this winter at least some of his new school pants should still be good enough to pack away, it won't be that long since my 5 year old is only 2 sizes behind.

I now have a new clothing problem with my oldest. Most shirts come in size ranges and tend to be a small is an 8, a medium a 10-12 and a large would be a 14-16. Right now he's in a 12 for pants but he has monkey arms and a long torso so the mediums are a little too small, especially the ones he already has that have been washed several times, for him but he's swimming in larges. Of course all the good shirts that are too small on him are a little too big for the littler one. Any advice for me on that would be wonderful, if I can't find anything I'll have to resort to putting him in huge shirts. icon_cool.gif

My sister tells me that it's much easier shopping for her skinny daughter than her son since girl shirts and pants are cut closer to the body and girls can get away with shirts that sit right at the waistband of the pants.

imagine76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagine76 Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 3:19am
post #14 of 16

mbelgard, i guess my daughter is pretty easy on clothes. except for stains. she's inherited my dribble-anything-down-your-front gene. my boobs catch most everything. she dribbles ALL the way down! icon_lol.gif

on the up side, i made almost $800 on my last rummage sale mostly with baby/kid clothes!

i like the look of t-shirts with long sleeves underneath. i know that when i buy long underwear (long johns) for my kids they're pretty close fitting and the sleeves are long. maybe you could get away with some of those with t-shirts on top?

for now my kids are pretty proportionately small. short and skinny at least for my boys. my little girl measured in the 75% for height and 10% for weight last year when we took her for her kindergarten physical!

mbelgard Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 3:26am
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine76

i like the look of t-shirts with long sleeves underneath. i know that when i buy long underwear (long johns) for my kids they're pretty close fitting and the sleeves are long. maybe you could get away with some of those with t-shirts on top?

My kids have lots of long sleeve t-shirts to wear under, we live in North Dakota and they like their printed shirts to show, not be hidden under something.

The underwear shirts would work for the long sleeve shirts but I think I'm still going to have a problem with shirts that are long enough in the waist but not down to the knees.

susanmm23 Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 3:31am
post #16 of 16

we buy a lot of the button up shirts. short sleeve not dressy ones most of them have super cute graphics on them. anyways they last forever because even when they are technically to small you can just throw a tshirt under and either wear it out or tuck the under shirt in.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%