Lost In Translation - Please Help

Decorating By marknelliesmum Updated 1 Aug 2008 , 6:07pm by varika

marknelliesmum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marknelliesmum Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 8:57am
post #1 of 5

Hi Folks
I'm fairly new here and having some problems with the names of some products. I am not from the USA and can't get hold of some of the ingredients you guys take for granted - I've had a lovely chat and a laugh on another thread as it seems this is quite a common problem for others too, who are not US based. Basically from what i can gather 'eggs' are apparently the only cake ingredient that is universal. icon_eek.gif

So far I have worked out / been told:

shortening 100% veg oil in solid form - alternatives would be Trex, Flora Light (UK) S Africa has a different alternative but I can't recall what it is icon_redface.gif

powdered sugar/ confectioners sugar - same as icing sugar (UK)

Cake flour- we only do self raising or plain (as far as i know)

parchment, wax paper, greaseproof paper - these are all different

saran / clingfilm/ cling wrap - these are all the same

box mixes - brands are limited or unavailable outwith the US - alternative recipes are available (Jan h has an amazing list - I don't know how to post the link she gave me and I've not asked her permission yet so I'll have to get back to you with this - unless of course Janh jumps in to rescue me yet again!) icon_lol.gif

I'm sure there are loads more...please add any you have come across or need to find out about.

4 replies
Charmaine49 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charmaine49 Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 9:27am
post #2 of 5

South Africa for shortening, well, I use Stork bake

cake flour I use plain flour and add my baking powder

Toptier Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Toptier Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 5:40pm
post #3 of 5

Cornflour = Cornstarch

Double Cream = Heavy Cream

Butter or Pound Cake = Madeira Cake

I can't think of anymore off the top of my head. I'm sure if you had a specific ingredient that you need a translation for you can post it and get help quick. I'm an American who worked in the UK as a pastry chef many years ago. I also married a Brit so my MIL asks me to translate American recipes for her all the time. I love some of the ingredients you can get over there - plentiful, cheap (relatively) marzipan, amazing white chocolate and dairy products! Also, I love that you can rent (hire) cake pans at almost every cake shop. Isn't it also very common for customers to make their own cake (fruit cake) and just have it professionally decorated? I just can't imagine that here but then we don't do fruit cakes either.

This is a great international community, I'm sure you will get the help you need! Happy Baking

3GCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 5:51pm
post #4 of 5

I think in the UK they have "Kate Flour" instead of cake flour, which is basically microwaved AP flour (I am pretty sure)

varika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
varika Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 6:07pm
post #5 of 5

I took a plate of cookies and sweet breads into a job I worked at once, and had a Scotsman (literally; the company was based in Scotland and he was working in the US for a year) admire the "cakes" and say that he wasn't sure he could eat them. And I'm also told that cookies == busicuits in the UK? It's been a long time since I was over there, and it was only a week, so I don't recall...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%