Cake Dummy Help!!!

Decorating By bsharp Updated 2 Aug 2008 , 6:14pm by SWEETBAKES

bsharp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bsharp Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 11:28pm
post #1 of 6

please help. i guess i need cake dummy 101. i will be using a real cake on bottom and then the rest dummy. ist attempt. do i use styrofoam and do i icing it as i would a cake before adding fondant? what about dowl rods there will be 4 layers. and is there a secret to cutting the dummy? thank you for all your help. bsharp

5 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 12:17am
post #2 of 6

You need dowels in the real cake only. Why are you cutting a dummy? icon_confused.gif

Jocmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jocmom Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 12:44am
post #3 of 6

I thought maybe I read that wrong.

Are you cutting the dummy to make it smaller before you decorate it?

seagoat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
seagoat Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 12:45am
post #4 of 6

Are you using sheets of styrofoam? Is there a reason why your not buying an actual "cake dummy"?

I have to use the sheets because we don't have dummys premade here. I use the size of pan that I want the board then with a hot flat head screwdriver I go around the pan. I have gas stove so I just stick the screwdriver tip in the flame and melt the styrofoam. It stinks but it's better than cutting with a knife!

bsharp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bsharp Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 3:51pm
post #5 of 6

Okay, like I said cake dummy 101... I have never done this before. I was only guessing to use styrofoam. I was going to buy the round styrofoam from craft store and cut it (or whatever I need to do) I am going to attempt topsy turvy cake. This is what she wants. She picked out a design but she don't need that much cake. I wasn't sure how to do this. Does this make sense? So, can I buy this type of dummy or can I make it? And do I icing it like I would a cake before I put fondant over it, Yall are wonderful for helping out. Thank You. Betty

SWEETBAKES Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SWEETBAKES Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 6:14pm
post #6 of 6

If you are going to buy the dummy at the craft store, they should have a topsy turvy dummy. Just get the sizes that you need for the cake (like 6", 8", etc.) If they don't have them, unfortunatly icon_cry.gif you're going to have to cut it. As for covering it, you ice it and cover it the same way you would a regular cake. The fondant needs a glue or something for it to stick to.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%