I Just Need To Vent Today!

Decorating By sugarcheryl Updated 31 Jul 2008 , 10:12pm by indydebi

sugarcheryl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarcheryl Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 8:58pm
post #1 of 9

I work at a catering place and my original goal was to just be able to bake and decorate. The owner told me she needed someone like that but I also had to be an all around person. Okay it has been almost two years in within this time I went to culinary school in another state travel back and forth on the weekend. make a long story short I've done it all in this business from mopping to serving also. I don't know if it's me but when we do orders or events something always tend to go wrong. Somebody forgot something Like today I'm there 6 am I open up turn the coffee pot on, start another coffee pot, I start making 91 sandwiches, then because someone forgot something for a delivery, I help the next person with there order, then the food delivery comes in while trying to finish the box lunches and the owner wants us to finish by 9 am Then I rush to check the order end up missing some items because we have a wedding this weekend. I have to get another order together plus go on the delivery. Plus other things need to get done. I just feel like I'm the dummy I don't know what I'm doing. The owner is frustrated and this has happen since I've been working there. I just don't understand what is going on why things get screwed up so often. I've seen people come and go. I giving my letter tomorrow. I was hired for a cake decorator at Sam's Club. I just feel I end up screwing up to often. I'm done!!!!!! Thanks for letting me vent. Love ya guys.

8 replies
Shannie13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shannie13 Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 9:08pm
post #2 of 9

I have those days too! I just try to smile through them icon_wink.gif I hope your new endeavor gives you more joy and more fulfillment than your other job!!! Best wishes
Shannie

Jayde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jayde Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 9:08pm
post #3 of 9

Good for you! Not enough people take charge of their lives and change something when they are not happy. They just continue to work at the same old 9 to 5, miserable, because they dont have the guts to do something about it (I am one of those people icon_redface.gif )

So I say congradulations to you!

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 9:11pm
post #4 of 9

awww......

I remember my first job out of college was as a well-respected business magazine. I felt 'lucky' to have gotten a job with them. I stuck it out 10 months and 2 weeks. For a long time I thought I was the one that needed to improve and I was the one that kept screwing up. Well, towards the end I realized that the owners were the ones not doing things right! (I hated that job!)

Anyway, don't worry about it. I totally get 'taking a step back/break to get ahead'.

I'm sure you'll do fine and don't worry about stressing out at Sam's - I'm sure you'll be fine!!!!

Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 9:18pm
post #5 of 9

sugarcheryl

You know you said yourself "original goal was to just be able to bake and decorate" Ok Now your going to do that. I always say you get prepared in llife in some of the funniest ways you'll look back and say "Now I know why that happened. Chalk it up for experience and move on congrats on you new job hold you head up and don't look back I would love to have a job at something I love to do.Cake Decorating
Molly2 thumbs_up.gif

AmyGonzalez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmyGonzalez Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 9:24pm
post #6 of 9

Sounds to me like that place it very unorganized. icon_sad.gif Good thing your getting outta there. icon_smile.gif Of course if your doing EVERYTHING your gonna mess up. I always try to prioritize, but if it is to much you need to speak up for yourself and let the boss know what is going on. That is the only way of tring to fix things, but if the boss won't listen and you just feel to overwhelmed and your not happy, then it's time to fly the coop! icon_lol.gif

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 9:48pm
post #7 of 9

As has been said, you alone can't make up for the poor organizational skills of the owners..

But congratulations, you're outta there and will be doing what you really wanted at Sam's. icon_smile.gif

(Granted Sam's won't be extremely creative, but you'll certainly learn SPEED and that's a very useful skill.)

twooten173 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twooten173 Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 9:52pm
post #8 of 9

Ditto Amy Gonzalez. It's hard to do something properly when there are a million distractions.

Now go show Sam's how we CCer's decorate icon_smile.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 10:12pm
post #9 of 9

I agree with the "it's not you ... it's them". I was reading your description of your day and as a caterer that is NUTS to have a kitchen running that way!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%