Wraping A Cake Board

Decorating By Merry1227 Updated 4 Aug 2008 , 2:26am by daisysn2001

Merry1227 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Merry1227 Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 7:58pm
post #1 of 20

Can I use Regular wrapping paper?

I'm going to be making a Nemo cake for my sons birthday. I have blue wrapping paper, but if thats a no no, then I'll have to find something else.

Thanks
Merry

19 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 8:06pm
post #2 of 20

Well, if you are sure that the dyes in the paper are food safe . . . And the fat from the icing won't leave a grease mark . . .

Dee1219 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dee1219 Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 8:10pm
post #3 of 20

I would not do it if the paper is not food proof, but that is just me. I wouldn't take a chance!!

rreed6263 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rreed6263 Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 8:11pm
post #4 of 20

I've heard other people say that they used clear contact paper to cover
their wrapping paper.

bmbard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bmbard Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 8:14pm
post #5 of 20

I cover my boards with all kinds of things like wrapping paper and fabric, etc, but I always then cover it with clear shelf liner. Once the shelf liner in on the board I wash it with soap and water before putting the cake on the board.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 8:15pm
post #6 of 20

so , i don,t know.... is clear contact paper food safe.... i have read this before also.... but don,t know that answer.... thanks for an answer

jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 8:21pm
post #7 of 20

Regular wrapping paper is not food safe, however you can cover it with clear contact paper and you will be fine.

Jibbies

blue123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blue123 Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 5:32am
post #8 of 20

I have been covering my boards plastic tablecloth ( the ones used for birthday parties) for 10 years. They are so inexpensive to use and come in so many different colors. I just use heavy duty packaging tape to tape them down.

mclaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mclaren Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 10:10am
post #9 of 20

this might be a dumb ques, sorry to ask, but what is a clear contact paper?

LSW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LSW Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 10:55am
post #10 of 20

Contac paper comes on rolls. I think it's mostly used as a shelf liner. It has an adhesive backing and comes in different patterns. It also comes in clear, you can usually find it in the department stores, Walmart, Target, etc. in the housewares section. HTH

dolphincake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolphincake Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 3:32am
post #11 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue123

I have been covering my boards plastic tablecloth ( the ones used for birthday parties) for 10 years. They are so inexpensive to use and come in so many different colors. I just use heavy duty packaging tape to tape them down.

Are they water proof? meaning if they will keep the moist of juices from getting to the board?

lvspaisley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lvspaisley Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 6:26am
post #12 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry1227

Can I use Regular wrapping paper?

I'm going to be making a Nemo cake for my sons birthday. I have blue wrapping paper, but if thats a no no, then I'll have to find something else.

Thanks
Merry

I use wrapping paper to wrap my cake boards, but I use a clear food grade cellophane over that. Works everytime!

blue123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blue123 Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 6:20pm
post #13 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphincake

Quote:

I

Are they water proof? meaning if they will keep the moist of juices from getting to the board?

Totally waterproof...they make a really pretty and inexpensive backdrop for the cakes. The colors are endless.

dolphincake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolphincake Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 2:29am
post #14 of 20
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphincake

Quote:

I

Totally waterproof...they make a really pretty and inexpensive backdrop for the cakes. The colors are endless.

Thank you! I will sure give it a try!

AmyGonzalez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmyGonzalez Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 6:53pm
post #15 of 20

I love to cover my cake boards with wrapping paper It gives the cake a more dramatic look. I also use clear celophane over the wraping paper. It gives the wraping paper a glossy look, is food safe, and nothing soaks through. thumbs_up.gif Works perfectly every time!

bwonderful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bwonderful Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 9:37pm
post #16 of 20

I use the plastic tableclothes most of the time as well. They are so easy to find in tons of colors and easy to wipe.

tomatoqeen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tomatoqeen Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 11:45pm
post #17 of 20

If you don't mind, where do you purchase your clear, food safe celophane? Thanks!!

AmyGonzalez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmyGonzalez Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 4:31pm
post #18 of 20

You can buy celophane anywhere. Wal-mart, Hobby lobby, Michael's. Any store that carries wrapping paper or crafts, those are the two depts. I've seen them in.

tomatoqeen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tomatoqeen Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 5:07pm
post #19 of 20

I've seen celophane at Michael's -- Martha Stewart was like $1.00 a roll-- but I wasn't sure about the food safety issue.

daisysn2001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daisysn2001 Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 2:26am
post #20 of 20

WoW! you guys always have such great ideas. I ran out of the pretty foil you can cover the boards with the other day and tried fondant however the humidity was 85% and it would not dry it was awful. I wish I had seen this thread earlier I am going to stock up on the plastic tablecloths.
Thanks icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%