Sand Castle Cake

Decorating By MamaCass25 Updated 30 Jul 2008 , 3:16pm by gacandle

MamaCass25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaCass25 Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 1:41pm
post #1 of 6

I was asked to a sandcastle cake for a birthday that's coming up and I'm trying to figure out the best way to do it. The Wilton website calls for brown sugar, but I'm afraid that would make the cake taste gritty. I was thinking about putting some graham crackers in the food processor and using those crumbs. What's everyone thoughts? Have you done sand before, what did you use? Thanks in advance.

Cassandra

Attached is a picture of the Wilton cake:
LL

5 replies
jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 1:50pm
post #2 of 6

I have used graham cracker crumbs before. Once I used Nilla Wafers ground up. Last time I was in a bind because I didn't have either, so I used cookie crisp cereal. It looked the most realistic to me.

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 2:23pm
post #3 of 6

I use different flavors/colors of cookie and cake crumbs depending on the color of sand/dirt I want. Everything from Oreos to Nilla wafers to peanut butter cookies.

allycook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allycook Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 2:44pm
post #4 of 6

I use a mix of graham cracker crumbs and the butter flower cookies. It tastes better than the vanilla wafers I think.

Parable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Parable Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 2:53pm
post #5 of 6

Graham cracker crumbs are FANTASTIC with chocolate cake. The combo is great.

gacandle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gacandle Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 3:16pm
post #6 of 6

i like to use the left over cake from carving crumble it up put it on a cookie sheet and toast it and then crumble some more

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%