No News Is Good News...

Business By mgdsue02 Updated 29 Jul 2008 , 11:30pm by isabelianico

mgdsue02 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdsue02 Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 6:27pm
post #1 of 9

Maybe I worry too much, but how many of you don't hear back from customers regarding whether or not they liked your cake? I have done 5 different birthday and anniversary cakes in the last month, and not one of them has contacted me to say the cake was good, bad or indifferent! My Mom always says no news is good news but it would be nice to hear that so and so liked the cake. I guess I should just leave well enough alone and not worry. If I don't hear something then I should assume they liked the cake. If they didn't I guess they would call me and tell me. I am just getting started with my business and would love the feedback. Oh well...

8 replies
Deana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deana Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 6:43pm
post #2 of 9

There are lots of posts regarding this very issue... very rarely will you get any feedback.. as several people have pointed out - you wouldn't call the pizzas place, or your nail salon, or the car oil changers after the fact to tell them you really enjoyed, appreciated their service. Nope - you only say something when things didn't go well.. so absolutely no news is good news!!

MosMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MosMom Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 7:21pm
post #3 of 9

There are many times I don't hear from someone about how they liked it until they call to order another cake and then it becomes obvious they liked it. :]

I like a glowing review but no news is most definitely good news.

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 7:25pm
post #4 of 9

i do a lot of cakes....only have had a handful of phone calls telling me how much they liked it....and a few thank you notes.

however, many times they give me a nice review the next times they come in.

poshcakedesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poshcakedesigns Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 7:34pm
post #5 of 9

I wouldn't worry about it. Not everyone calls to give compliments. I'm sure if there was a problem you would have heard about it by now. People LOVE to complain.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 7:38pm
post #6 of 9

Yep, no news is good news. However, I do send out an email survey to all completed brides to make sure it was all ok and maybe get a blurb for my site. I get 30-50% of those back.

ziggytarheel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ziggytarheel Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 7:54pm
post #7 of 9

As a consumer, I don't like homework, and I would never think to contact a decorator to give her feedback unless I knew her, or had developed a relationship with her. Even then, I might not. I really like such relationships to be simple. And if a decorator seemed really needy, I would probably not do business with her again. Over the years, I've run into people doing business who seem needy and when I've tried to be helpful, I've always regretted it. I much prefer friendly, helpful, professional business people who don't require anything of me but my money. icon_smile.gif

No news is good news.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 11:18pm
post #8 of 9

I'm small scale, but I always e-mail or call a few days after delivery. I ask that when they have time, they give me feedback--good or bad. I tell them that it helps me to improve and to understand people's likes and dislikes.

I've gotten a response every time--only one mediocre one (thought a chocolate cake was just a "tad" dry, but overall, very happy).

I'm not a retail bakery. I make very custom cakes, spending extra time consulting and decorating. I feel that I have to have feedback in order to continue on the right path.

Heck, I give feedback on Ebay, so I don't really think asking for a line, or two, is an imposition.

Just my .02
Rae

isabelianico Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
isabelianico Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 11:30pm
post #9 of 9

I always want to hear what people think but the only time I get feedback is when it's family or if it's my own kids parties and people are talking about it the whole time I am there. I usually e-mail them a couple days after the party with a little e-mail that says something to the effect "I am just checking to make sure that everything went okay. I appreciate your business and look forward to working with you in the future." Usually they will e-mail me back with something about the cake and if they don't I just take that as they liked it or they would have said something.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%