Please Help! 1St Time Doing Cake Tasting!

Business By Nicolle711 Updated 30 Jul 2008 , 2:53pm by Nicolle711

Nicolle711 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nicolle711 Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 4:38pm
post #1 of 4

I posted this in another forum on CC but didn't get any responses so I wasn't sure if it was because I posted in the wrong area.

But I need some help. I may have landed my first wedding cake and the lady (actually the sister of the bride) wants to meet up with me for a tasting!!!

I have never done a tasting so I don't know what types of cakes or fillings to have out for her! I found a thread about cake tasting presentation but I am just full of nerves and really just need someone to break it down for me nice and easy because I am going to explode!

Wedding is Late August. A family friend was going to do the wedding cake but they backed out of it this week!

Any help is greatly appreciated!

3 replies
michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 5:18pm
post #2 of 4

People do the tasting a lot of different ways. Some people give cupcakes, or mini cupcakes, or squares of different flavors of cake, with the icing and fillings on the side so that they can make different combos. That's who the baker did it on last night's ep of "bridezillas". Maybe if you are baking some things between now and then you could make extra and freeze them until the tasting. That way you wouldn't be wasting your time/money making a whole lot of stuff just for them. If it were me, I would not let them tell me what flavors they want to try, b/c I've seen some nutso brides think that they are going to get to sample 10 different flavors.

At my hotel, we have tastings where they b & g and 2 guests get the whole wedding meal, down to the cake. If they really, really want a certain flavor combo we will get it for them, but in all honesty, they are just tasting it to make sure that the cake is moist, fresh, and tasty.

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 6:11pm
post #3 of 4

Here's my little rundown.

1. Pre-tasting: Ask them for any color samples, design ideas, themes, etc... so I can have some ideas in mind.

2. Way back when I bought 7-8 Wilton single pans. Whenever I have left over batter I'll use these and freeze for future tastings. So for the tasting I'll unfreeze these, add a filling, frosting (whipped, buttercream and fondant) and then cut in half. My family gets one half and the other goes to the tasting. I'll do 3-4 flavors - depending on what I have.

3. At the tasting: I'm home-based so I'll meet them at their house. After the introductions, I'll give them my portfolio and the Martha Stewart Wedding books so they can look at my work and get ideas while I set everything up. Then first things first - get all the event details - names, dates, times, servings, locations, phone numbers, addresses, etc...

Next I'll ask if they have any ideas. If they already told me some idea beforehand, I'll bust out whatever I had prepared. And start the whole design process.

Once the design process is over, I'll tell them now comes the good part - tasting. I mark all the boxes, so while they are tasting, I'll figure out some logistics on the cakes (sizes, feasiblity, alternatives). IF the design needs changes because of logistics, I'll bring them up. Once that's figured out I'll ask them to pick out flavors. If they have multiple cakes, I start from the bottom to the top.

After that's all done, I'll give an estimated quote and if they are all good with that, I'll let them know that I'll draw up the contract and mail/email it to them.

So, it's long, but I remember not knowing what to do for my first tasting too!! icon_smile.gif
HTH!!

Nicolle711 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nicolle711 Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 2:53pm
post #4 of 4

Thank you both for your help! I posted this thread in another forum because I was freaking out yesterday morning. After reading your suggestions and advice, I feel so much better prepared. I am so excited for Sunday! Fingers crossed I get the wedding cake order! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%