What Would You Charge For Classes?

Business By amberlicious Updated 29 Jul 2008 , 3:25am by sweetcakes

amberlicious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amberlicious Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 5:27pm
post #1 of 2

I've posted a similar post on General- but I need to ask pricing questions as well.

I have the opportunity to teach some classes at a local kitchen store. It's a locally owned and run store that can stock what they wish (they don't hail to corporate or Wilton). After some bad experiences with some teachers that Wilton has sent him the owner is looking for someone to teach classes that are a little more updated then Wilton- and not necessarily a 4 week series or whatever.

So I'm thinking of doing 3 hour classes that are independent of taking other classes.

He also is wanting to carry things that will bring decorators in. I suggested Americolor already- I'd love not to have to drive an hour for those. What other things would you suggest? (He does carry an okay selection of Wilton stuff).

My class ideas:
Basics with Buttercream- cake hints, icing making, torting/filling, crumbcoating, frosting, borders and writing as well as basic cake design.

Basic Fondant- how to make MMF, how to color and cover a cake. Fondant decorations

Gumpaste basics- making gumpaste, bows, flowers

Kids class- only 90 minutes for kids ages 7-12 basics for kids

Cupcakes- filling, easy decorations

any other ideas? Suggestions for classes?

How would you expect the pricing/payment to work out with the store owner? What would you expect to charge per class? What would be a reasonable financial arrangement?

1 reply
sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 3:25am
post #2 of 2

ihave found that these kitchen stores that say they hold classes are more of a demo then a class, with a little bit of hands on. i took one of those classes when i was in New Orleans and there must have been about 40 people in the class, cant remember what we paid, maybe $20 - $30 for 1.5hr or something like that. so they were raking it in. would your classes be totally hands on, or somewhat hands on, or a demonstration class? sounds like a great idea either way though.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%