Need Answers About Freezing Cakes

Decorating By mrswendel Updated 29 Jul 2008 , 1:04pm by 3GCakes

mrswendel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrswendel Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 1:11am
post #1 of 11

Hi everyone,

So I have 2 wedding cakes due in a couple of weeks. Both are 4 tiers, so 8 2 inch layers each plus filling. I usually do my baking on Wednesday, fill and ice on Thursday and decorate Friday, but I've never had this many to do at one time. I see that a number of you on here freeze your cakes. I have never done this so I am a little bit nervous. Just wondering if someone could give me their direction on how to do this? Do I: - level each layer prior to freezing?
- can I fill, stack and crumbcoat and then freeze?
- do you decorate the cake while still frozen or after it has thawed?
-how long does it take to thaw and do you thaw in the fridge or at
room temp?

Sorry for all of the questions...I just wouldn't want to do all of the baking and then destroy them trying to freeze them incorrectly icon_rolleyes.gif

Thanks everyone.

10 replies
jukesbox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jukesbox Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 2:42am
post #2 of 11

I usually bake, level, wrap well, and put in the freezer. I've never filled or iced and then froze. I would be interested to know what others do.

pottedmeatchunks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pottedmeatchunks Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 3:00am
post #3 of 11

i do the same as jukesbox. it is very important to level before freezing, otherwise you'll think your cake is thawed but the center may still be too cold and your leveler has a flexible enough blade that bad things can happen in the center if the cake is partially frozen...

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 3:09am
post #4 of 11

Agree with above posts. Cakes take just minutes to thaw .... I throw them on the counter (still wrapped in saran) about an hour before i need to start working on them. Smaller cakes (6", 8") don't even take an hour.

I level mine before I freeze, but I do a "once over" when they are partially frozen. This really helps get a perfectly smooth and level cake. I have a big beef carving knife that is great for this job (I have a niece who manages a national chain cafeteria and when these knives are too dull for beef carving, she gives me one once in awhile. The blade is about 14" long, which means it trims any size cake I'm working on!)

sfunky67 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sfunky67 Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 1:06pm
post #5 of 11

I just did my first wedding cake last weekend, and got much help from posters here! I baked on Wednesday and froze them (next time will bake ahead of time), got them out of the freezer on Thursday and filled them. One thing I learned is that I do NOT like to torte my cakes with a knife! It was nearly disastrous. I am used to "cutting" my cakes with thread or unflavored dental floss, which works like a charm for me! Best of luck!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 2:13pm
post #6 of 11

I bake, cool, level , torte and wrap then freeze. Pull the cakes out of the freezer, fill, rewrap and let settle for at least 12 hours, preferably 24. Then ice and decorate the next day. Deliver the following day.

ladybuglau Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladybuglau Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 6:50pm
post #7 of 11

am I the nly one who HATES cake that's been frozen? I tried it once and it had a strange gluey texture, I'll never do it again icon_sad.gif

mrswendel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrswendel Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 12:43pm
post #8 of 11

Thanks everyone. I give it a trial run today and see how it goes.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 12:59pm
post #9 of 11

I took two chocolate cakes to a gathering of friends and told them I was doing a cake experiment. Both were chocolate, one fresh and one that had been frozen for 10 months. No one, including me, could tell any difference. I do bake from scratch.

Mencked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mencked Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 1:03pm
post #10 of 11

If I have to freeze cakes and they are not going to be filled with anything other than BC , I cool, level, fill with buttercream, place other layer on, double wrap in saran wrap, then foil and freeze. When I pull them out of the freezer, I allow them to come to room temperature, leaving the wrap on, until they are completely thawed. This saves me so much frustration and hair pulling when I have several to do for one day since I also work a full-time job. I usually pull the cakes out in the morning before I leave for work, and they are then ready to work on that evening. If it is a really large cake, you may want to pull the cake out and allow it to sit a full 24 hours before working on it. By leaving the cakes in their wrapping, the condensation forms on the outside of the wrap and not on the cake which may have given the strange gluey texture ladybuglau experienced! I think freezing might actually improve the cakes taste and texture (moistness).

3GCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 1:04pm
post #11 of 11

I freeze most of my cakes. I wrap in plastic wrap and usually some foil. I make a lot of 8inch cakes for teaching and have even used ones that were frozen for 6 months, and they were fine.

There is a very good wedding cake place in town, and on their website they say they consider a cake ruined if it is frozen even for one day. I've never found that to be the case. Even on Duff's website they say "fresh, never frozen". I think maybe they just don't want to be associated with the mass-produced frozen factory cakes? I dunno.

I was always glad to see the amount of CC'ers that freeze their cakes like me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%