Oh Boy! Irrate Customer

Business By sweetcakes Updated 30 Jul 2008 , 9:41pm by mymomandmecakes

adonisthegreek1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adonisthegreek1 Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 7:25pm
post #91 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcakes

... i dont remember her telling me it was for a surprise party, and i dont feel it was my fault. Im making some note on their order form, cause you never know if they will take me to court over this.

So, my lessons here are, get a cell phone number, have cakes picked up before 10am, so im not having to stay in all day waiting, prepay, although in this case im glad they didn;t. what else?? arm me with ammo please!!

turns out they live in a $1.5m house, 12 acres, 6 bedrooms Hope they ran to walmart and got a cake from there, cause this one is going to be enjoyed by people at work tomorrow!

im sleeping well tonight too!!

OK, several things come to mind. First off, if they did not tell you that it was a "surprise" then you did nothing wrong. I planned my daughter's Sweet 16 a year in advance. I made everyone that I contracted from the banquet hall to the DJ write on the contract that it was a "Surprise." I gave them my cell number only, no home phone. I gave them my email address and had them also write that they were not to mail any info to my home. That's just common sense for a parent to do for such a special occasion.

Second, what grounds could they possible have for taking you to court? I don't understand that.

Finally, what does living in a $1.5 million home have to do with anything? I've met asses who were dirt poor. Rudeness and idiocy often have nothing to do with income.

I hope you enjoyed the cake and I am glad that you are sleeping well. You should. You deserve it. I am sorry that those idiots spoke to you that way.

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 7:38pm
post #92 of 99

I think that kids are getting bratty because of the materialism in our society. Everyone is so busy trying to work to keep up with their neighbors that they use the t.v. and computer as a babysitter, instead of going outside with them and playing, reading a book, or whatever. It is a lot easier to just break down and buy your 5 yr old a Barbie in Walmart when they are having a tantrum, than to get them to understand that they cannot have every stinking thing they want.

My old hotel was in a very rich part of NJ and I had a very hard time staffing the restaurant. The spoiled kids would come home from college in the summer and work for me, and if they didn't get their schedule request they'd just say screw it and stop coming to work. Once, one male employee actually stormed out of the restaurant and was crying in the parking lot icon_cry.gif because his food was taking too long. He was actually bawling, and his table really didn't care. All it took was a couple of glasses of wine and they were happy to wait. Instead of trying to fid a solution to the problem, this grown male's way of dealing with the situation was storming out and crying!

CakeWhizz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeWhizz Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 7:41pm
post #93 of 99

Now we know what made the previous cake decorator (if there was ever one) run for the hills...........

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 8:04pm
post #94 of 99

Oh my goodness, I have to say this.

My son used to be friends with a boy who lived in our neighborhood. For his 3rd birthday, they had a BASH at a waterpark, and had custom facric giftbags made with his photo on it, etc. When his brother turned 1, the mom wanted to "tone things down" a bit, and hired a train (a Thomas Tank Engine) to drive the kids around the neighborhood! She said their budgets for these parties was around 2K.
Anyway, these kids have anything and everything they could ever want. Every new trinket and toy.
But, they are put to bed by watching the seperate TV's in their rooms. When they are at home, they are each in their own rooms infront of their TVs. As this kid got older, we began to notice he had no attachment to our son, even though they played together everyday. But the son also called me Mommy, which was creepy.
After a while, he just didn't seem to relate to people much. He was a spoiled brat who only thought of himself. He had his things, and his toys and over the top parties, but was not given attention and physical love from his parents.
Did I mention that this kid just turned 5 last week? I tell you what, when that kid is grown up, he is going to have some issues.

jennifer7777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennifer7777 Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 8:39pm
post #95 of 99

I would say that the only thing you did wrong was staying on the phone while he disrespected you.
And from what I read, the cake WAS the car, right...or was she actually getting the mini-cooper, too?
You did better than I would have...I probably would've lost sanity & religion & told that man a thing or 2, then asked to speak to the wife to tell her what a dumb-a$$ she was. Some people are just not worth caring about future orders, cuz I wouldn't do it anyway.

But I saw the photo...the cake looked great. You were in the right, and kudos to you for remaining professional, cuz like I said I would've got "street" on them icon_cool.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 9:59pm
post #96 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by varika

I think that as much fault lies with the boomer generation as it does with the "millenials." I mean, the millenials, by and large, are the children of the boomers, and I think it's a classic case of "you reap what you sow." Unfortunately, the ones doing the reaping are usually not the ones who did the sowing!

Hubby and I often look around in amazement at how different parenting skills come from the same families. I'm the oldest of 6 and there are at least 4 different parenting styles going on! We are all boomers .... I have responsible kids (the two older ones are both former military) who have never been in trouble, and the worst issue we had to deal with was my son ditching school with his girlfriend one day.

My sister ... who grew up in the same house as me .... was the "I want to be my kids' PAL" mom, has paid I don't know how much in lawyer fees for her one son.... the same son who had 6 cars by the time he was 19 years old and mommy and daddy bought all of them. Oh they didn't start OUT buying the cars ... they gave him the "lecture" on how they would sell the car if he missed a payment. He would start missing payments on the 2nd month and they'd be carrying an extra car payment.

I just dont' get it.

HappyValley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HappyValley Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 10:10pm
post #97 of 99

I have to say that your cake ROCKS!! They are sure missing out. thumbs_up.gif

stsapph Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stsapph Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 9:21pm
post #98 of 99

I am part the the ME generation (born 82) and am sometimes ashamed of my own generation. I was brought up that I was to respect my elders and work for what I wanted. I bought my own first car, and waited until I was 18 because there was no need for me to have one before then. I work for a small deli as their pastry chef, and while the owner is technically my boss, I don't have anyone standing around me telling me what to do. It is expected that I know what needs to happen and is my responsibility to keep inventory and make what I need, and make sure I get it all done in a timely fashion so I'm not costing the company obscene amounts of money. And I do all of this for the love of the job, and of course the pay check. I in no way expect to get praise day in and day out from my boss or have him stroke my ego. If I make something well, he lets me know, and if I make a mistake, he also lets me know. It's a business and has to be run that way. I can't go get my feelings hurt every time some says something bad about my work. I just take it as a learning experience and move on. Anyways, I guess the ramble is just to say that not all of us ME's are like this girl and her family, although too many are, and it scares me. While I agree this generation has a lot of great ideas about the future, I just don't know if it is strong enough to get it done without someone handing out compliments the entire time. Sometimes you just do things because it's what needs to be done, not because it's an ego boost. OK, off the soap box!

To the OP, I am so sorry you had to deal with these people and they lost out on a wonderful cake. This is their loss, NOT yours! Your cakes are beautiful, and I am sure just as delicious as they look!

mymomandmecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mymomandmecakes Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 9:41pm
post #99 of 99

It is too bad that everyone has not had the opportunity to serve the public. Once you have been on the one to provide a service you understand how the world works.

I have had a few suprize parties that someone has let the cat out of the bag and we still had a party and still had cake and still had a wonderful time!!! WHAT WAS THE BIG DEAL! The "17 teen year old " princess was going to find out later so she found out earlier, that way she could make sure that she looked FABULOUS, I think the 17 year old would have thanked you for not letting her look bad...lol

I am sorry you had to deal with this....but you handled it great and got to eat cake my kind of happy ending!!!! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%