How To Make "paint"

Decorating By msulli10 Updated 27 Jul 2008 , 3:28pm by tonedna

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 1:41am
post #1 of 12

I want to paint on fondant and I'm wondering what is the best mixture to make. Do you use gel food coloring and mix it with alcohol or extract or water? Or should you start with powdered food coloring?

11 replies
valerie01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
valerie01 Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 1:50am
post #2 of 12

The time I tried painting on fondant, I mixed almond extract and gel colors. The deeper colors bled after a few hours, so I'm sure I didn't do something right. I'd like to hear what people have to say about this too.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 1:50am
post #3 of 12

Use petal or pearl dust mixed with either vodka or lemon extract. You want something with a high alcohol content to evaporate quickly. Don't mix them in a paste though, put some dust on one side of the plate and a squirt of vodka on the other side and slowly mix them with a brush and then paint on the cake. Hope that helps some! icon_biggrin.gif

msulli10 Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 1:55am
post #4 of 12

What do you mix it with ? Do you just add a little liquid until you get the consistency you want?

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 1:56am
post #5 of 12

I mix vodka with gel colors and haven't had a problem with any of the colors I've tried so far.

bobwonderbuns Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 1:58am
post #6 of 12

Good grief, I just wrote an entire paragraph and only two words got printed! icon_confused.gif As I was saying, mix with either Vodka or lemon extract (something with a high alcohol content which will evaporate quickly). DO NOT mix them together right away, put some dust on the side and slowly add the vodka to the other side and mix them slowly with a brush then paint on the cake.

msulli10 Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 1:58am
post #7 of 12

I know this might sound stupid, but does it smell like alcohol or does it evaoprate after awhile ?

msulli10 Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 2:02am
post #8 of 12

Ok, thanks - I will definitely try this method.

bobwonderbuns Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 2:02am
post #9 of 12

The vodka does evaporate and the cake neither smells nor tastes like vodka. I have noticed a lemon aftertaste in using the lemon extract though.

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 3:15pm
post #10 of 12

Ditto. No alcohol is present in after it has dried.

peg91170 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg91170 Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 3:17pm
post #11 of 12

WOW I would have NEVER thought of that! I always wondered why Duff had bottles of booze in his kitchen. ROFL.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 3:28pm
post #12 of 12

You can use your gels with vodka too.. Depending on how strong you want the colors to be, you add more or less vodka.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%