Gold Glitter

Decorating By jouj Updated 26 Jul 2008 , 11:48am by amoos

jouj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jouj Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 8:54pm
post #1 of 15

Hi, I was at a birthday yesterday, the cake was plain white, with some writings on it topped with gold glitter. I never saw such edible glitter, it looks exactly like the glitter we use in arts and crafts, but when I touched it, it was soft. Does anyone know where I can buy such glitter? It makes a perfect finishing effect on the cake.
Thank You.

14 replies
MosMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MosMom Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 9:00pm
post #2 of 15
sugarplumfairycanada Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarplumfairycanada Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 9:15pm
post #3 of 15

Hi,

I've seen this at michaels in the cake section by the sprinkles and stuff. It comes in a tube. They have gold, green, red and blue. HTH

jouj Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 9:21pm
post #4 of 15

MosMom: I'm not sure it's what i'm looking for, the picture is not clear, but what I want looks like that:

http://www.kitkraft.biz/product.php?productid=4270

sugarplumfairycanada: Does it look like the one in the link above?

Anyway, my sister in law is going to the US next week, she'll check Michael's for me.
Thanks.

MosMom Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 9:22pm
post #5 of 15

Yes, the gold sparkle is like that. I have Super Gold dust and gold sparkle and the sparkle is more like glitter than a dust.

sugarplumfairycanada Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 9:27pm
post #6 of 15

No, that's not it. The stuff I am thinking of is Wilton in a tube. I just checked their website and if you go in the cake section, cake decorating shop, then icing and Gels it will be the first thing you see. HTH

p.s. it's called sparkle gel

jouj Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 9:28pm
post #7 of 15

mosmom: thanks a lot. I have many colors of luster dust and pearl dust from GlobalSugarArt, but never thought the Sparkle dust would be like the one I want. Is it soft to the touch?
Thanks again.

jouj Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 9:29pm
post #8 of 15

sugarplumfairycanada: I have the Wilton glitter, it's not shiny at all, I don't use it. Thanks anyway. icon_smile.gif

jouj Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 9:35pm
post #9 of 15

MosMom: have you tried this:

http://www.globalsugarart.com/product.php?id=19597

If you did, which has a nicer effect, sparkle or disco dust?
Thanks again.

MosMom Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 9:52pm
post #10 of 15

No, I haven't tried any disco dusts but I'm sure someone here has.

sugarplumfairycanada Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 9:56pm
post #11 of 15

jouj, you said you had the wilton glitter, and that you don't use it, might I ask why? I hate to spend $ on things and find out they don't work like I thought they did. I have been eyeing the wilton sparkle gel that I had mentioned in my previous posts. It looks like edible glitter glue. I have not seen it on any cake before and am wondering has anyone else tried it?

jouj Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 10:46am
post #12 of 15

sugarplumfairycanada: I never used the wilton glitter because it's dull and it's hard to "glue" on the fondant, above that, it doesn't spread evenly. i don't know, i didn't like it, I'd rather use colored sanding sugar, or luster dust, they give a nicer effect.

mpaigew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mpaigew Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 11:12am
post #13 of 15

Jouj-Global Sugar Art has the disco dust. It's exactly like craft glitter; I use it all the time. They have it in TONS of colors, too! It can also be called mystical or pixie dust. Sparkle dust isn't the same. It's a finer grain, and has a much slighter sparkle to it, not like glitter. There is also glitter dust, but that is more like sparkle dust.

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 11:30am
post #14 of 15

I'm betting it was disco dust... I just got some from www.countrykitchensa.com It's SUPER glittery (if that's even a word!)

amoos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amoos Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 11:48am
post #15 of 15

I think the Disco Dust has the most "glitter" effect. I put it on some flowers and butterflies for a little girls 6th birday and she FREAKED b/c her cake was covered in glitter!!! Guess little girls love glitter icon_smile.gif Oh, and the wilton sparkle gel is not worth the money unless you're making a waterfall and want a little 'sparkle' in it icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%