Smooth Icing

Decorating By arichey Updated 27 Jul 2008 , 2:01am by sugarshack

arichey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arichey Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 5:09pm
post #1 of 6

I am making a baby shower cake in a few days. I've made a practice cake that turned out well, but i'm not using fondant. I'm new at this, and I'm just not ready for fondant yet. Anyway, my question is..how do I make the frosting look smooth? I tried dipping my spatula in hot water, but it didn't seem to do the trick. Any suggestions?

5 replies
aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 5:34pm
post #2 of 6

Try the VIVA method. Use a crusting BC, wait until the cake crusts (usually 15 minutes) and put a VIVA (no print) papertowel on it. With a fondant smoother, go over the cake with it (sides and top).

There is also a Melvira method on here. I highly recommend using a VIVA papertowel so the foam roller is not in contact with the cake. Just not food-safe otherwise.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 6:44pm
post #3 of 6

I use sugarshack's method of dipping my bench scraper in boiling water and wiping dry before touching the cake each time and it works beautifully. He BC DVD shows step by step how to smooth a cake and is worth it's weight in gold. When you're ready for fondant she also has a great DVD for that.

missmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missmeg Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 6:49pm
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggy2

I use sugarshack's method of dipping my bench scraper in boiling water and wiping dry before touching the cake each time and it works beautifully. He BC DVD shows step by step how to smooth a cake and is worth it's weight in gold.

I agree.

I have also used the foam roller in the past with bc - pretty good results from that as well. I put the foam roller in the dishwasher afterwards. Comes out clean as a whistle.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 7:36pm
post #5 of 6

I think the best way is to use the cake icer tip, then smooth with a spatula. Once it crusts, you can just use a viva paper towel or the Melvira method.

If I'm in a hurry, and I usually am, I just omit the icer tip and slather it on with my spatula.

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 2:01am
post #6 of 6

i have some of my tips here if u are interested:

(I no longer sift)

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-19948-buttercream.html+tips

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%