Getting A Big Fluffy Cake...

Baking By ThreeDGirlie Updated 29 Jul 2008 , 5:09pm by akgirl10

ThreeDGirlie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThreeDGirlie Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 1:15pm
post #1 of 8

What are tips for getting that cake to rise high and STAY there after it's cooled? Does collaring the pan help? Any other suggestions?

Also, with WASC, does anybody find that one brand of mix works better? (I have always used DH for recipes that use mix, but I can switch).

Next week I'll be baking a lot of cake. I'm making a cake for my Mom's group on August 5 (to feed at least 35)and then my DS's birthday party on August 9 (to feed 50 + left overs for his actual birthday!). I am baking next week and freezing so I can work on awesome fillings and decorating the following week.

Thanks!

7 replies
ThreeDGirlie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThreeDGirlie Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 10:40pm
post #2 of 8

Nobody?

lizziegirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lizziegirl Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 10:52pm
post #3 of 8

I have no idea but here's a bump

smbegg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smbegg Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 11:03pm
post #4 of 8

I overfill my pans. I fill them atleast 2/3 to 3/4 full. Then they bake up over the pan (never had them spill over). So when it shrinks down, it is still above the top. Then I just run a serrarted knife over while still in the pan and I have perfectly level, tall cakes.

Stephanie

gottabakenow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gottabakenow Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 11:11pm
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by smbegg

I overfill my pans. I fill them atleast 2/3 to 3/4 full. Then they bake up over the pan (never had them spill over). So when it shrinks down, it is still above the top. Then I just run a serrarted knife over while still in the pan and I have perfectly level, tall cakes.

Stephanie

yup, that. icon_wink.gif

akgirl10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
akgirl10 Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 4:57pm
post #6 of 8

Overfill a bit, use baking strips so it rises evenly. Don't peek in the oven!!!
If you bake scratch, I've found sometimes too much leavener bakes a tall cake, then collapses because there's not enough structure in the cake. I've recently cut back on leavener in a recipe that always sunk with great results.

Another idea, bake smaller layers, but more of them. If you have enough pans it will cut down baking time considerably. I did three 8" rounds instead of two 2"rounds, and it was at least 4" tall.

steplite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steplite Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 3:27am
post #7 of 8

Does anyone remember the old TV comercial about adding "Dream Whip to the mix to make a bigger cake? I think the recipe is on the box.

akgirl10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
akgirl10 Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 5:09pm
post #8 of 8

I think you're right, you add a package of dream whip. I've done that before, but I remember the cake being a bit dry. So I might add a smidge extra oil to the batter.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%