Meringue Powder

Baking By deetmar Updated 7 Aug 2008 , 3:27am by jibbies

deetmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deetmar Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 9:13pm
post #1 of 5

Okay, I was wondering what type of meringue powder you guys use when doing Antonia74's royal icing.

I usually use a different recipe, but it has egg whites and you can't use it for the Fair. I tried her's with "Wilton" meringue powder and it tastes sour. So I added almond and vinallia, still not good.

Can you recommend a different powder? Should I have added lemon juice?

Thanks for your help!

4 replies
antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 12:06am
post #2 of 5

I used to buy the $25 (1 kilogram) bags from www.goldaskitchen.com in Mississauga, Ontario....but they don't seem to carry it anymore??

Anyway, it was the McCalls brand which is actually from this store/website
http://www.mccalls.ca in Etobicoke, Ontario. I've recently been told that they don't ship to the U.S. though thumbsdown.gif

I didn't add flavouring suggestions to my recipe because I buy a brand of meringue powder that has vanilla powder right in. Not having used the Wilton brand before, I didn't realize that they ALL don't have flavouring built right in.

Use whatever flavour extract you'd like, but do be careful of using any oil-based extract. Oil and royal icing aren't best friends! It can cause problems in the consistency of your icing and/or the drying time...I'm not saying it's impossible, just that it doesn't dry the same way.

ALVARGA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ALVARGA Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 2:55am
post #3 of 5

I use powdered egg whites that I buy at the grocery store. There is no flavor, I just add some clear vanilla extract.

aa053103 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aa053103 Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 3:22am
post #4 of 5

I use the Wilton meringue powder and I haven't had a complaint on my cookies.

jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 3:27am
post #5 of 5

I read somewhere (maybe here icon_confused.gif ) that a teaspoon per recipe in buttercream stabilizes it, so I used it on a wedding cake this past week that traveled from Macon to North Carolina (Do you know what the heat is like here, almost unbearable) and I had no problems

Jibbies

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%