Choc Chip Cookie Test On Abc Tv

Baking By veejaytx Updated 31 Jul 2008 , 4:27pm by Jasmine33

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 10:05am
post #1 of 12

Not being a cookie baker I was wondering if you all who do bake them would agree with the "test" they showed on ABC this morning.

They had chocolate chip cookie dough, baked one batch right away, another they refrigerated overnight (or a day) and a third batch they refrigerated for a couple of days and then baked.

The concensus was that the older dough cookies were preferred over the other two.

Any thoughts?

11 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 10:41am
post #2 of 12

LOL...dough doesn't last more than an hour or two in my fridge, I don't think we could test it here icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

veejaytx Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 10:52am
post #3 of 12

I hear that, Texas_Rose, actually if I had any it wouldn't last around here either!

Omicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Omicake Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 10:56am
post #4 of 12

Don't know for sure. Maybe the ingredients had more time to blend together.Did the recipe used was given?Was there any other conclusion , apart of preference for the older one?

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 11:29am
post #5 of 12

I have girls come in twice a week to make cookie dough balls. We stock 'em up in the freezer. Some we put in the 'frig if the freezer starts to get too full.

I have noticed that the from-freezer-to-oven dough balls bake up prettier than the from-mixer-bowl-to-oven ones. More uniform in shape and color. Not sure about the taste tho ..... when you bake 300 a day, every single day, you just aren't interested in eating one anymore! icon_eek.gif

veejaytx Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 11:49am
post #6 of 12

I don't think they said there was any special recipe used, but all the cookies they tested were evidently the same recipe.

They seemed to think the flavors blending over a day or two made the difference in the cookies. I guess it makes sense that the colder ones would bake more uniformly.

Debi, I sometimes wonder if I'd ever get to the point I couldn't eat more cookies. It is probably a good thing I don't have access to them to try that out!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 12:12pm
post #7 of 12

veejay, I tell all my girls they are welcome to any cookies they want ... because I know after a week or so, I won't have to worry about them eating the inventory! icon_lol.gif

chriscrites Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chriscrites Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 1:26pm
post #8 of 12

I have not tried that experiment with chocolate chip cookie dough but the other day I made a batch of NFSC and baked half of a batch immediately and put the the rest in the fridge. 3-4 days later I baked the other batch-did not like it. It was more crumbly and the flavor wasn't as strong. I will either bake immediately or put in freezer from now on.

iramirez94 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iramirez94 Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 6:02am
post #9 of 12

Wow... what a perfect time for this post.. I just made two batches of cookie dough and wasn't able to finish baking .

I put it in the refrigerator and will put some in the freezer and have my own test test with the kids.. How fun will that be!!!!! icon_evil.gificon_evil.gif

I used the Aldi chocolate chips and so far I think they are sweeter than the nestle and hershey chips.

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 5:26am
post #10 of 12

Well, I would like to know more about the test b/c I'm ready to throw & break things in my kitchen. I'm tired of trying recipes & the things turning to crap (spreading like wildfire & being flatter than a saucer).

I want to find a freakin' recipe that is hearty in looks & texture--why don't they do that kind of test? I don't want an airy cookie, I don't want a flat cookie, I don't want a crunchy cookie. I want a soft hearty cookie & indydebi I know what you mean by getting sick of cookies---dough too. If you had baked as many as I have & had to try every dang batch, you to would be about to vomit.

Can you tell I'm frustrated?

iramirez94 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iramirez94 Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 2:16pm
post #11 of 12

Yesterday I baked the cookies that I had in the refrigerator. The results.... cookies baked up FLAT. So I give it a thumbsdown.gif They did change into a darkershade because the ingredientes blended (my speculation).

I use the Tollhouse receipe, but substitute butter for crisco w/butter. The Aldi chips don't seem any different then Nestle, other than tasting sweeter.

Jasmine33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jasmine33 Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 4:27pm
post #12 of 12

I don't know about freezing, then baking. But the other day we baked cookies. They came out nice and big. The next day we pulled the refrigerated cookie dough out and they did not bake as big. Don't know why.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%