My Cake Recipe Idea-Need Answers Quick Making Tommorrow!!!

Decorating By brinana Updated 26 Jul 2008 , 5:49am by dandelion56602

brinana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brinana Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 3:55pm
post #1 of 10

I have a cake order for birthday it is being delivered friday morning at 430 am to someones work so it can be there before they get therebut i work nights so i have to make it thursday morning. it is a 6" cake with two -2 " layers
Cake: Chocolate fudge cake with bits of andes chunks in batter(for anyone who may not know what andes is they are mint and chocolate peices)
Filling: crushes grasshoppers and fudge( i tried this last night it was delish!)
Icing: Mint buttercream
ineed to know right awy if anyone thinks this cake is too much, i just need to know if u think it will be okay or should i change anything ,does it sound good? Help [please!!!!)
aslo anyone got any tips on piping , i am doing some sort of design(not sure hat yet liek a scrolly something ) but i have never piped more than jusy at the bottom or top or around layers, i did once for a transfer but not free hand yet!?!?

9 replies
trichardson1229 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trichardson1229 Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 4:05pm
post #2 of 10

IMHO. I think with the mint icing on it would be a bit to much mint. I would use just reg butterceam, tint it green, then just drizzle melted chocolate around the top edge of the cake to where it goes down the sides. Not heavy. Then I would just write Happy Birthday on it. Simple but yet I think it would look great. You could even do some of teh swirled roesettes on top and put a mint cookie in each. HTH
Can't wait to see pic.

crystalina1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crystalina1977 Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 10:58pm
post #3 of 10

that sounds really nice tricharfson, and I agree, with all that mint the person would really have to be a mint freak.

PattyT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PattyT Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 11:23pm
post #4 of 10

I agree with the others. I love chocolate and mint together, but I'm always terrified of making my mint julep brownies too "minty" cause it can quickly overwhelm.

LOVE trichardson1229's ideas...tint a nice buttercream pale green. Lovely.

What about swirling rosettes and putting an Ande's mint in each? The chocolate with green to match the buttercream.

No matter what - have fun - you're doing a nice thing!

auntiekim82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntiekim82 Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 11:25pm
post #5 of 10

I agree, that's a lot of mint! Maybe try a classic buttercream or a chocolate buttercream to enhance the chocolate in the cake?

Zooie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zooie Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 12:40am
post #6 of 10

Or, if you still want to go with a mint buttercream, just go really light on the mint flavoring. Balance is the best way to go.

brinana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brinana Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 1:55pm
post #7 of 10

i tried the recipe this morning with four differnt variations...
choc cake with red icing
choc mint cake with reg icing
chco cake with mint icing
choc mint cake with mint icing
and i have to say both me and my two 'helpers' agreed that the best by far was the chocolate mint cake with mint icing..
i was very worried a bout ther ebeing too much of anything i think the two mint mint balanced out the chocolate very well...i didnt use very much mint at all in the icing,justa little and i used one bag of andes mint chunks for two batches of cake i think if the filling wasnt fidge it would have been too much but wiht out the mint icing it wwasnt enough mint thanks for everyones input on this though.

auntiekim82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntiekim82 Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 2:13pm
post #8 of 10

I'm glad it worked for you! It sounds yummy!! icon_biggrin.gif

trichardson1229 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trichardson1229 Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 2:19pm
post #9 of 10

Glad you got it figured out. Can't wait to see a pic.

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 5:49am
post #10 of 10

Since you've already made it this won't help. But I have a lot of compliments when I make a dark fudge cake & minty icing (just use peppermint extract) It's like eating a Girl Scout thin mint.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%