3D Cuddly Bear Cake

Decorating By sugarbabe Updated 24 Jul 2008 , 12:02pm by JennyU

sugarbabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarbabe Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 10:44am
post #1 of 9

I need some help with the 3D Cuddly Bear cake. I'm going to bake one for a client, but I'm going to hire the pan. i was wondering has anyone baked this cake without using the heat conducting core. Because I'm hiring the cake I need to return the cake pan with the core the following day. Any suggestions?

8 replies
amysue99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amysue99 Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 11:09am
post #2 of 9

The core doesn't stay in for cutting and serving. When you bake the cake, fill the cavity of the core with a little batter. After the bear cools, you remove the cake that baked in the core and you remove the core from the bear. Put a little icing into the carivty, put in the cake from the core, and fill the empty spaces with icing. Those are the directions from Wilton.

However, you can bake the bear without the core, and I suggest doing so. Turn the heat down a bit and check well for doneness. It makes a much sturdier cake.

froggyqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
froggyqueen Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 12:18pm
post #3 of 9

Not to take over your post but I am making this cake also. Do I have to use a pound cake or if I just leave out the core will that make it strong enough to use a regular mix? If not is there anything I can do to a regular mix to make it hold up better for the b pan? Thanks

amysue99 Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 12:33pm
post #4 of 9

No, a regular mix will not be strong enough. This mold needs a very dense cake. Use the White Almond Sour Cream recipe (WASC) and it will be dense enough and provide enough to fill the mold. Here it is:

1 mix
1 c flour
1 c sugar
3/4 t salt
1 c sour cream
1 1/3 c water
2 Tbsp oil
2 t vanilla
1 t almond (can be omitted)

Bake at 325. This makes about 7 cups of batter.

sugarbabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarbabe Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 8:34am
post #5 of 9

My client wants a chocolate cake. I usually use Bakels Cake Mix, will this be sufficient or do I need to bake with another mix?

allee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allee Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 10:50am
post #6 of 9

You can use a reg. choc cake mix and add a small box of choc. pudding and an extra egg and it will work fine. HTH

Confectionary2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Confectionary2 Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 11:15am
post #7 of 9

Personally, I have used the WASC and had no problem. That is what my penguin cake is made of.... Good Luck! Can't wait to see it!

amysue99 Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 11:38am
post #8 of 9

To modify the WASC into chocolate, just use a chocolate mix, eliminate the almond, and add 1/3 c cocoa powder. Tastes great!

JennyU Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennyU Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 12:02pm
post #9 of 9

I use Pillbury cake mixes for mine and never had an issue. Maybe it is different when you only make them for home and they aren't transporting.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%