Silver Fondant....how Is It Made?

Decorating By Children Updated 23 Jul 2008 , 9:57am by marknelliesmum

Children Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Children Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 11:49pm
post #1 of 5

I need silver fondant for some accents.... Can someone help me please?

4 replies
maryak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryak Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 4:11am
post #2 of 5

For silver you could colour the fondant grey and then paint over it in silver luster dust mixed with a little vodka or lemon juice. If you mix the silver luster into the fondant it won't show through so your best bet is to paint it on.

Children Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Children Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 8:51am
post #3 of 5

Ok this may sound silly...but you just picked one of the three fondant colors that I can't seem to make. icon_redface.gif

So if you would tell me how you make grey fondant so that I can use your tip to make silver I would really appreciate it. icon_lol.gif

I think I am having one of those days! icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

Leigh01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Leigh01 Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 9:52am
post #4 of 5

I normally just paint it with silver lustre dust and an edible paint base without colouring the sugar paste first and that works for me icon_biggrin.gif

marknelliesmum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marknelliesmum Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 9:57am
post #5 of 5

Hi
To get grey fondant mix some of your black paste colouring with white fondant - it takes quite a lot of colour paste even to get to the grey stage.

The luster dust ( if it is the same as the stuff we get over here) can just be painted on once you have mixed it with the alcohol - I wouldn't bother colouring the fondant coz the colour is solid.

If you wanted a sheen effect then colour the fondant as described and just brush the dry luster dust over the top - depends what finish you are looking for.

Hope this helps
AnneMarie

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%