Airbrush Gold Dust

Decorating By tirby Updated 22 Jul 2008 , 1:48pm by Molly2

tirby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tirby Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 1:00pm
post #1 of 4

Ok I need to airbrush (or paintbrush) Super Gold luster dust onto some loopy bows.
My question is HOW do I air brush them. I mean I have never used the airbrush for spraying dust. So do I mix it with something first? All I have is extract which is mostly alcahol but what is the ratio? Or is it better to just brush the dust on? I don't have any airbrush gold... I know they make it but no time for that. I need to do it tonight. I was going to just hand (dry brush) dust them but was hoping for a faster way. also which uses less supply?
Any help is greatly appreciated on this one.

3 replies
woodthi32 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
woodthi32 Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 1:17pm
post #2 of 4

I have used dust and clogged my brush. I would paint if it is not a huge area, or you can purchase gold made for an airbrush.....icon_smile.gif

tirby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tirby Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 1:30pm
post #3 of 4

Thats all I needed to hear. I will paint them. It is a 3 bows so not a LOT of area but just time consuming.

Any opinion if dry dusting or mixing with extract for a wet color would look best?
This is for a 50th anniversary cake for a VERY special couple. I want perfection!!

Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 1:48pm
post #4 of 4

Ok I always hear of very bad stories using luster dust in your air brush me personally I don't do it if you look at my pictures I did a Army Cake and the rope around the editable image came out really good all I did is Air brushed it in Americolor gold paint and the brushed lusted dust on it. It was very shiny and pretty

Molly2

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%