Torting And Serving - Any Advice?

Decorating By sweet_2th_fairy Updated 23 Jul 2008 , 2:40pm by Homemade-Goodies

sweet_2th_fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_2th_fairy Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 10:00pm
post #1 of 7

I have only torted a cake once so I have VERY little experience in this area. I was wondering for those of you that torte twice or three times on one cake (thus making multi layered cakes), do you have any issues when it comes to cutting and serving the pieces? I can only imagine how nice it must look when a cake has so many layers, but once it is cut...does the slice topple over? Or do all the layers stay together? I realize the thicker the slice, the better the odds. Are there any other tricks/hints to cutting and serving multi layered cakes?

6 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 10:49pm
post #2 of 7

Here's my website on how to cut a cake:
http://cateritsimple.com/_wsn/page10.html

If you get one of the cake-cutting combs, you'll have ZERO problems with the cake falling over.

A thread with a source to get one of the combs: http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-399863.html

sweet_2th_fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_2th_fairy Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 2:22pm
post #3 of 7

Thanks for the links! That is very helpful and clever!

Homemade-Goodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Homemade-Goodies Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 2:53pm
post #4 of 7

HI Debi...thanks for the lesson in cake cutting, really helpful!!

I did notice that you have only placed filling between the 2" layers, is this normal for your cakes. I know some people torte each layer, for 3 fillings every 4 inches. I am still trying to work out a standard to offer.

Thanks!

ladybuglau Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladybuglau Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 3:10pm
post #5 of 7

the BEST way I have found to torte layers, is the frieling layer cake slicer. I bought mine on amazon, and it's awesome. I had alot of trouble using the wilton cake slicer, tilted layers, torn edges and whatnot, and this makes perfectly even slices EVERYTIME. It's awesome icon_biggrin.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 10:01pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homemade-Goodies

HI Debi...thanks for the lesson in cake cutting, really helpful!!

I did notice that you have only placed filling between the 2" layers, is this normal for your cakes. I know some people torte each layer, for 3 fillings every 4 inches. I am still trying to work out a standard to offer.

Thanks!

Yes, this is normal for my wedding cakes. (I had never seen a torted cake until I came to CC). My "Dessert Cakes" are all torted, though.

Homemade-Goodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Homemade-Goodies Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 2:40pm
post #7 of 7

You are so wonderful to share your know-how, Debi - thanks for the help!! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%