Lemon Curd For Filling?

Decorating By MOTB Updated 21 Jul 2008 , 1:45pm by Mencked

MOTB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MOTB Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 11:37pm
post #1 of 8

My DD loves lemon curd (used in lemon meringue pie). Is there any reason I couldn't use it as a filling in her wedding cake? I'm wracking my brain trying to think if there would be a problem, and coming up with a blank.

Have any of you tried it? Would the cake have to be refrigerated, or would it be okay if it sat (in an air conditioned room) all day?

TIA

Cindy (aka MOTB)

7 replies
alanahodgson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanahodgson Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 12:33am
post #2 of 8

Lemon curd is a very delicious cake filling. I can't answer your question about refrigeration.

imagine76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagine76 Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 3:37am
post #3 of 8

it IS great in cake! but, since it has an egg base i think you might want to keep it in the fridge. find a frige if at all possible.

funcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funcakes Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 4:01am
post #4 of 8

Oops! Now you tell me it has to be in the fridge?????
I used it in my daughter's wedding cake-white champagne cake with raspberry and lemon filling.
No one had a problem, maybe we were lucky or maybe it is because the eggs are completely cooked in the sugar, citrus base?

SweetAsLemmons Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetAsLemmons Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 4:26am
post #5 of 8

Ok.. I'm not 100% sure, but I read somewhere that because citrus curds (especially lemon) have a high acidity level, it is ok to be at room temp.

I have made wedding cakes with lemon curd and so far, nothing has happened. But I agree, better safe than sorry.

Good luck

MOTB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MOTB Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 5:16am
post #6 of 8

Thank you all for your replies! I'll have to think about this...

mamajan61 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamajan61 Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 5:27am
post #7 of 8

I have never had a problem with any of my cakes that I put the lemon curd filling in... I do keep my work area at about 65 degrees... but other than that, no refrigeration... I agree with SweetAsLemmons about the high acidity..

Mencked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mencked Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 1:45pm
post #8 of 8

I have filled cakes with lemon curd and had no problems letting them sit at room temp....Rooms were air conditioned, they didn't sit outside, but I think the cake will be fine!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%