About To Make A Cake!

Decorating By kay7 Updated 9 Aug 2008 , 3:40am by kay7

kay7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kay7 Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 10:31pm
post #1 of 22

I am a very amateur pastry chef. As in, it's what I want to do when I graduate but I don't know like anything about it. Sometime this week I am making the practice cake for my sisters birthday that's in a couple weeks. I'm super excited because I don't get to do this a lot. Any advice, because I've only made two other big cakes, and they were less then perfect. Any tricks of the trade?

21 replies
TooMuchCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TooMuchCake Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 10:45pm
post #2 of 22

What did you have in mind for your sister's cake? If you give us some idea where you want to go with it, we can help you more specifically.

Deanna

kay7 Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 11:31pm
post #3 of 22

Okay, it's going to be a single, square cake. I want to cover it in royal blue fondant and make it look like a gift box and put white fondant strips for the ribbon, with a bow on top.

TooMuchCake Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 11:41pm
post #4 of 22

Thanks, that gives me something to go on. Have you done fondant before? Jumping right in with a square cake in fondant is a little gutsy if it's your first go-round, but you can do it. Smooth the corners first, then the sides. Make the bow ahead of time to give it plenty of time to dry, and you might want to make either an extra complete bow, or at least extra bow loops just in case. There is an excellent tutorial on here about making a loopy bow.

Did that help any? If you have specific questions, feel free to ask them!

Deanna

kay7 Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 11:46pm
post #5 of 22

Ya i saw the example on how to make the bow, it's what made me want to do it. And I've used sugar paste before, but not totally successfully. I thought a square would be easier than a circle cake. (I don't have too many pans, so it's either square, circle, or rectangle)

maryak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryak Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 11:54pm
post #6 of 22

That sounds so good, just make sure, like TooMuchCake said, to smooth the whole cake and the corners. The smoother the frosting on your cake is, the smoother the fondant will look. Let us know how you go!

kay7 Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 12:02am
post #7 of 22

Thank you both so much. I know it's just a practice, but I'm so excited and nervous. I don't have the best stress management when a cake goes wrong. My cakes usually entail many (and I mean MANY) trips to the store, and crying, lots of crying. Hopefully this time will be different! And, I'll deffinetly be on later this week telling you how it went! icon_biggrin.gif

TooMuchCake Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 12:47am
post #8 of 22

[hands on hips, using my "mom" voice]

You will NOT cry over this cake. This will be a great experience, even if it's not the same as the one in your head. Your sister will be delighted and this will be a cake for your portfolio, trust me.

You have a good advantage that you're making a bow for the top of the cake. If you have a wrinkle you can't smooth out, make a streamer for the bow and have it trail down over the wrinkle. Consider a few flowers, too, just in case if you want.

We're here to help and to try to head off the tears.

Deanna

kay7 Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 12:55am
post #9 of 22

Thanks. The cake I cried over most was my sister's cake last year on her birthday. I think this cake will be better. (I'm hoping) In my head it seems so simple, although I know it won't be. Do you think a square will be really hard? Would rectangle be easier? (even though they're basically the same shape)

TooMuchCake Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 1:42am
post #10 of 22

IMO, it doesn't get any easier than a round. Squares and rectangles are the same thing, just longer on one side. icon_smile.gif It depends on whether you want the cake to look like a gift box (square) or a hat box (round).

Deanna

kay7 Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 2:27am
post #11 of 22

I want a gift box. Because it's my "gift" to her.

TooMuchCake Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 3:03am
post #12 of 22

Then you should definitely do the square. Let me know if I can help when the time gets closer.

Deanna

Juds2323 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Juds2323 Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 3:48am
post #13 of 22

Here a great video Aine2 put out showing how she covers her squares.

" rel="nofollow">

HTH

Judi

kay7 Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 4:41am
post #14 of 22

WOW, that was such a good video! I feel like I could do it now. Most likely not that well, but I think it deffinetly pointed me in the right direction. icon_smile.gif Thanks a million! And, believe me, I will deffinetly be asking you guys more questions soon icon_smile.gif

kay7 Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 12:45am
post #15 of 22

Okay, I decided I was just going to make a couple different kinds of fondant and put it on styrofoam to see which kind I like. And it went pretty well. I think I like MMF the best. It tastes good and is fairly easy to work with. I also signed up for the first course in Wilton's classes today. I'm super excited! icon_biggrin.gif

pinklesley1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinklesley1 Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 12:53am
post #16 of 22

i have a gift box cake on my website if you want to look at it, its also in royal blue fondant with a white bow and some curly q's

Ruby2uesday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruby2uesday Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 2:14am
post #17 of 22

Oh i hadn't seen Aine2's vid for covering a square cake w/ fondant! that rocks!!! i've been working w/ fondant for accents, just haven't dived in to cover. i'm afraid of how it will taste more then anything and i haven't braved trying to make it myself...... ok i think i can, i think i can, i think i can! LOL

Good luck on your sisters gift box cake!

Juds2323 Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 3:07am
post #18 of 22

Congrats on signing up on the class. Can't wait to see your cake.

Judi

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 4:07am
post #19 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by kay7

Okay, I decided I was just going to make a couple different kinds of fondant and put it on styrofoam to see which kind I like. And it went pretty well. I think I like MMF the best. It tastes good and is fairly easy to work with. I also signed up for the first course in Wilton's classes today. I'm super excited! icon_biggrin.gif

Hi Kay7!

I'm glad things worked out well for you today! I was going to suggest to you about signing up for Wilton classes too. I think it's course 3 where you learn how to do a fondant covered present cake but I do believe you have to take course 1 first and then after that you can do them in any order you want! There a blast to do (I've completed 1 and 2), I hope you have as much fun as I did with course 1!!!

Good luck!

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

kay7 Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 1:54am
post #20 of 22

OMG I made my cake and it was so successful!!! I didn't cry once. (If you knew me, you would know what kind of accomplishment this was.) I mean, it wasn't like professional quality or anything, but I am so totally proud of it. I think it's my first cake worthy of the picture galleries here! icon_biggrin.gif

Juds2323 Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 3:12am
post #21 of 22

Can't wait to see it! Please post!

Judi

kay7 Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 3:40am
post #22 of 22

I will in the next few days! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%