This Is What I Get For Being Nice...

Decorating By CharmingConfections Updated 22 Jul 2008 , 4:11am by CharmingConfections

CharmingConfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CharmingConfections Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 7:29pm
post #1 of 10

Two months ago a florist aquaintance was doing the flowers at a wedding where I was setting up the cake. She started asking me about doing a cake for her daughter's sweet sixteen. I said I would love to do it. Met up with her later and were discussing and she was going on about how expensive this party was going to be and how she really wanted the cake because her daughter is a huge fan of "Ace of Cakes" and wanted a really special one...but she didn't think she could afford it. This was for a three tier cake to feed 50 people. I wanted to charge her $100. ($2/serving). After her going on this way for about 10 mins I felt bad and offered that we could do a trade. My dad's 50th birthday party coming up so I suggested she could pay cost of the cake and I could pay cost of flowers and trade the work. So I gave her the cake for $50 ($1/serving) which I estimated to be my cost. I spend atleast 3 hours on this cake (The 3 tier pink & zebra striped in my photos). They LOVED the cake. WHen I saw her again she went on and on promising to send photos and how everyone loved it and she was sure I would get orders from people at her party. I've emailed her several times asking about the photos she promised to send and got no response at all. Now I am trying to contact her about my dads party flowers. I've emailed her 3 times over the past month. I sent a list of types of flowers I was interested in getting and asked the cost. She responded once saying she would have to call the market and find out cost. THat was 2 weeks ago. I've emailed her again letting her know that my dads party is only 2 weeks away and I am anxious to get things squared away. Still no response several days later. What should I do? I'm starting to think this was a big mistake and she is a total flake. Part of me feels like emailing her and telling her I will send her a bill for the remainder of the cake is she doesn't email me back in time for my dad's party... but then I wont have the flowers for my dad's party that I was planning on. I don't have her home number, and don't know if I should be calling her work since this is a side job that is not going through them... suggestions? I screwed up didn't I!

9 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 8:31pm
post #2 of 10

I have a low tolerance for minutiae and an even lesser tolerance for not having control. This is what I would do and it could easily not be what the majority would do. But 19 people have looked at this before I did so I don't want to make it 20 without leaving you a comment.

I would send her a bill for what she should have been charged and get my flowers elsewhere. And inform her that I am 'cancelling' my order with her. By this time I have no faith in her ability to supply my need. There could be a jillion things that have happened to mess this up for her So I keep my sanity, I keep my options open to have a great time for my Dad. I keep the peace and she can make it up to me or not later.

I'm just not gonna get my nose out a joint because somebody is out of pocket for whatever reason.

Idea for you. You can contact Costco in advance (2 weeks) prolly Sam's too and order flowers very very reasonably. Just a floral thought for you.

I'm sorry this ain't working out.

That's what I would do.

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 11:04pm
post #3 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by k8memphis

I would send her a bill for what she should have been charged and get my flowers elsewhere. And inform her that I am 'cancelling' my order with her. By this time I have no faith in her ability to supply my need.

That's what I would do.

Me too.

CharmingConfections Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 11:26pm
post #4 of 10

Thanks for the advice, I will give her another day and then I will send her an email letting her know I plan on billing her. Then I'll look elsewhere for flowers.
I wonder if costco can order tropical flowers? The party is a Luau.

maryak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryak Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 11:37pm
post #5 of 10

If she's an aquaintance, could you go to her house and (pleasantly) let her know that you need to get the flowers sorted? If this isn't an option I would bill her as well. It's unfortunate that there are people like that in the world who try to screw over other people just for their own benefit.

Just remember next time to charge full price no matter what and then, if you want to do a trade, say that maybe you will do a reimbursement upon delivery of what you need.

CakesByJen2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByJen2 Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 12:14am
post #6 of 10

I agree; it's time to cut your losses and move on. Bill her for the remainder of the market price of the cake and get your flowers elsewhere. Otherwise you are just going to be putting yourself through even more stress worrying about whether she's going to come thru or not.

I know some people have been very successful with bartering services, but I just think it would cause more headaches for me.

cakebaby59 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaby59 Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 2:13am
post #7 of 10

Unfortunately there are people out there who will make deals they have no intention following through on. This sounds like one of those. For myself...I only barter with folks I know and trust...it's too bad it has to be that way...but...oh well. Send her a bill for the balance on the cake and go elsewhere. Sure am sorry this happened to you...Linda

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 7:56pm
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleM77

Quote:
Originally Posted by k8memphis

I would send her a bill for what she should have been charged and get my flowers elsewhere. And inform her that I am 'cancelling' my order with her. By this time I have no faith in her ability to supply my need.

That's what I would do.

Me too.

That's exactly what I would do, but I would also notate on the bill that it is due by xxx date to avoid further action.

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 3:59am
post #9 of 10

For the record - great cake and I would have charged $200 for it - so even at $100 it is a STEAL!

Send her a bill and forget about flowers from her. I'm sure you can find them somewhere else.

Good luck!

CharmingConfections Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 4:11am
post #10 of 10

Thank you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%