Lymph Node Cake?!?

Decorating By Suzanne515 Updated 26 Jul 2008 , 10:35pm by lecrn

Suzanne515 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suzanne515 Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 6:05pm
post #1 of 21

I've had a request for a cake that looks like a lymph node. A friend is having a party to celebrate being in remission for lymphoma. He wants a giant lymph node so that each time a piece is cut it shrinks just like his did. Does anyone have any ideas? I don't want it to look like a giant blob.

20 replies
DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 6:25pm
post #2 of 21

I would suggest doing a Google Image Search of 'lymph node'. Good luck!

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 7:41pm
post #3 of 21

Oh, my at what some people come up with. I'm so glad he is doing better, but sheesh...

PattyT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PattyT Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 9:42pm
post #4 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by jammjenks

Oh, my at what some people come up with. I'm so glad he is doing better, but sheesh...

I agree...kind of odd, but happy he is doing well.

That said, what about doing it with cupcakes or mini-cupcakes...I have a feeling you just need to do vanilla with vanilla frosting. Then each person can take a cupcake off and it gets smaller.

Maybe add some little medical fondant "things" to dress it up....???

aliciaL_77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aliciaL_77 Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 9:51pm
post #5 of 21
Tiffysma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiffysma Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 9:57pm
post #6 of 21

I think an edible image of the lymph system would look much better. I see his point, but yuck! A lymph node is pretty much just a blob.

southerncake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncake Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 9:58pm
post #7 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliciaL_77

I think it is a cute idea - but then again I am weird icon_smile.gif

http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=lymph+node&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&resnum=1&ct=title

I agree that I think it is a great idea!! After my mom's breast cancer and mastectomy, we debated a "mastectomy cake!"

PJ37 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PJ37 Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 3:24pm
post #8 of 21

I agree with PattyT...cupcake cake in a big circle...make peach colored or pink (with swirls)...label it as ______'s lymph node. That way it would be edible and esthetically correct, but it would satisfy the friend's request! (and he is the one who has conquered this milestone!)

JenInAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenInAZ Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 8:44pm
post #9 of 21

I actually like the idea of just doing a big yucky green blob to hack away at considering the circumstances. It's different and fun, IMHO.

SugaredUp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugaredUp Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 9:43pm
post #10 of 21

I think the cupcake cake is a great idea, and you could still use a fbct or edible image!

jennym0904 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennym0904 Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 9:51pm
post #11 of 21

i'm very happy for your customer in remission- but a lymph node cake sounds gross! icon_smile.gif

whatever the customer wants, he gets!!! icon_smile.gif

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 9:54pm
post #12 of 21

icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif I am very glad to hear that your friend is in remission. You make him the best lymph node cake you could possibly ever make for him, and may he enjoy every minute of the cake shrinking.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 11:29pm
post #13 of 21

Wow, I guess I have now heard everything!!!

Have you ever seen a photo of a lymph node? Its pretty a slimy yecky thing...

I would think they would want something cheerier!

PJ37 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PJ37 Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 1:40am
post #14 of 21

Hearts are a little slimy and not all that good looking, but we make Valentine and Heart shaped cakes all the time. I'm sure a lymph node could look just as nice!

coolbananas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coolbananas Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 6:38am
post #15 of 21

I think you base it on an anatomical diagram (care of google) and then let him dissect it with a scalpel. Anymore than that and I think your cake would be a bit grusome.

Alternatively, you could make a frog with one leg and claim you miss heard him... a limp toad. I know that was pretty lame.

On a more serious note, I am glad to hear that your friend is doing well.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 12:24pm
post #16 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbananas

Alternatively, you could make a frog with one leg and claim you miss heard him... a limp toad. I know that was pretty lame.

HILARIOUS!

burgderb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
burgderb Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 12:20am
post #17 of 21

what about a cake sort of based on the board game operation, as the lymphatic system includes the entire body. Then you could pay specialy attention to whatever part of the body the client requested and he could start by cutting that part of the cake first

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 12:43am
post #18 of 21

I've made several "gross" cakes over the years for medical personnel. A heart for a cardiologist, an amputated leg for a pathologist, a drippy nose for an allergist. I was an ER nurse for a long time, and then a chemo nurse in a cancer clinic. It is great cause for celebration for folks who go into remission. This gentleman who is in remission wants to celebrate a victory, and to him that represents the destruction of a tangible lymph node...in this case a cake which looks like a lymph node. Ask him what his idea of a lymph node might be, to guide you in how "anatomically correct" the cake needs to be. He might surprise you. But he wants to celebrate his victory, and so does his family, I bet. Indulge him and do your best. He won't be disappointed.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 12:44am
post #19 of 21

I think it's a great idea.. I like the idea of a cupcake cake and making it look like a cross section of a lymph node. What a great way to celebrate his remission and I really like the idea of the shrinking node.

shannon0407 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shannon0407 Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 1:05am
post #20 of 21

I also think it's a great idea! Please post a pic when you've made it so we can see how creative you are.

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 10:35pm
post #21 of 21

I don't think that this is a gross cake at all. I think it's a great way for him to celebrate his remission. My grandmother died from lymphoma last year, & I would have been thrilled to make this cake for her.
The cupcake idea is a great one. You may want to ask him how anatomically correct he wants it to be. You could do a bc/choc transfer or an edible image of a cross-section of one.
Good luck & please post a pic!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%