Questions About Red Velvet And Pricing

Decorating By aliciaL_77 Updated 19 Jul 2008 , 3:14pm by aliciaL_77

aliciaL_77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aliciaL_77 Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 1:50am
post #1 of 3

Ok I am making a red velvet grroms cake for September. It will be a 2 layer 10 inch round with cream cheese icing and pecans.

I am at a loss as to what to charge. If I go by Wiltons guide (party) it will feed 38 people. I usually charge $2-$3 a serving. Is this too much?

Also, I have not ever made a red velvet cake before. Do they freeze ok? I usually bake them freeze for a few days before I decorate (I dont' do this full time and bake when I can after work) TIA

2 replies
dodibug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dodibug Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 12:09pm
post #2 of 3

Ahhh, the age old question-is that too much? lol Well, depends on where you live, your level of skill and whether your area will support the prices you have set. First you need to look at what the cake will cost you in materials and time (cream cheese and pecans=$$ these days) to ensure you'll be making a profit.

Also, make sure you have the price set and agreed upon by the purchaser before you buy anything or start work! I only say this because this comes up so often that people don't talk price until after the cake is done and boxed up!

If you are using a mix, I would think freezing would be fine as long as it's properly wrapped up but as far as scratch goes, I'm no expert on freezing those puppies!

aliciaL_77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aliciaL_77 Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 3:14pm
post #3 of 3

Thanks dodi. It is a scratch recipe. I am goign to prine all to ingredients and give it a test run and try out the freezing bit.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%