Covering Cake Balls

Decorating By kutabby Updated 18 Jul 2008 , 1:49pm by kutabby

kutabby Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 3:23am
post #1 of 6

So, I've now made cake balls twice. Both times I have covered w/ chocolate. But, they just don't come out very pretty. They're edible and yummy, but I'd like them to look a little more professional. Right now they are coming out all clumpy. How do you do it?
Thanks!

5 replies
leah_s Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 3:26am
post #2 of 6

Portion out into ball shapes. Put in freezer. When mostly frozen, roll in your palms to smooth. Dip in chocolate. Gobble.

kutabby Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 3:36am
post #3 of 6

That's how i'm doing it. I just can't get the chocolate to be smooth. They just look all gloppy.

nefcook21 Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 3:41am
post #4 of 6

If you add some shortening to the chocolate when you melt it that will help.

CakeDiva73 Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 4:03am
post #5 of 6

It sounds like your chocolate is seizing......are you making sure there is no moisture whatsoever on either the bowl or utensils when melting? Steam can be a killer too.....I melt over a bowl of simmering water in a glass bowl and always use the same setup.

I have to make sure the spatula is dry as a bone, same with the bowl, and melt slowly. There is unfortunately no way to make smooth cakeballs if your chocolate is clumpy so I would work on getting that smooth first. icon_smile.gif HTH

kutabby Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 1:49pm
post #6 of 6

I just melt choc chips in the microwave and pull a spoon out of the drawer to stir icon_smile.gif I'm positive there is no moisure (other than possible humidity). Is it the quality of chocolate maybe?
nefcook21 - I'll try your shortening trick!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%