Royal Icing Best Bet???

Decorating By vickymacd Updated 20 Jul 2008 , 8:25pm by vickymacd

vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 11:59pm
post #1 of 21

I'm trying to outline for cupcakes, angel wings. I thought maybe Royal Icing piped onto a sheet of wax paper, allow it to dry and then I can carefully peel away the wings to set them on cupcake frosting. If I made these tomorrow, would these be dry enough to peel off for Saturday night?

Anyone having experience with this, please tell me if this is possible?
Should I be using something else?
I called the candy store and there are no candy molds so this is why I'm thinking Royal Icing to dry hard.

I've also seen several recipes for royal, so if there is a sure fire recipe, please advise too!
Thank you all so much!!

20 replies
DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 12:24am
post #2 of 21

Royal icing will work for that. Except, rather than piping onto wax paper, pipe onto plastic wrap (Saran). It will peel away much easier than wax paper.

You could also pipe the wings with chocolate. Just be careful of the summer heat! If you use chocolate, then you'll want to pipe onto wax paper.

As long as you're not flooding a thick layer of royal, the wings should be dry by Saturday. Be sure to make lots of extras to account for breakage.

I like the Wilton meringue powder royal icing recipe. Make sure you beat it good and long. If you're experiencing humidity, you may need to beat the icing for 15 minutes or longer. If it's too stiff to pipe with, just thin it with a couple drops of water.

vickymacd Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 12:36am
post #3 of 21

Diane,
Thank you so much for replying!! I was thinking of either your recipe or one I've used before from Antonia74.
Thanks for the tip on the saran wrap too!
I think I'm going to make the devils horns/tail out of candy clay instead of fondant which won't dry by Saturday as well.
Vicky
I ran out of time on this as my daughter has a party at a club and she just thought she'd mention it to me LATE!!!!
Vicky

Lorendabug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lorendabug Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 12:38am
post #4 of 21

Royal icing should be fine. I use it all of the time for stuff like that. DianeLM is right, make extra some will break.

I also use the Wilton's recipe for royal icing. You can get it on their website.

vickymacd Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 12:45am
post #5 of 21

Thank you! I'll try the Wilton since I have two votes for it!!

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 12:58am
post #6 of 21

Hi Vicky~

It's absolutely possible --- I've done it before! Here's a cupcake tower with mini cupcakes, each with a pair of mini angel wings that I did with my stiff royal icing!! I wouldn't pipe them on a Silpat though no, just parchment paper...NOT waxed paper, parchment paper. Even the wings topper at the top was done with my royal icing too. The mini wings only took 12+ hours to dry solid and they slid off the parchment paper perfectly, but I kept the big wings and did details on them for about 3 days until they were solidly dried.

BTW, the mini angel wings couldn't have been easier. All I did was use my thick royal icing recipe (DON'T thin it down!) and using the Ateco french piping tip #22 or #32 (very fine teeth), just pipe softly curved letter C shapes to represent wings. (Try to zoom in on my pic if you can?) I managed to pipe all these wings in less than 10 minutes, it was such a fast tip to use. icon_smile.gif

Hope this helps!! icon_smile.gif
LL
LL

Shola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shola Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 1:13am
post #7 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeLM

Make sure you beat it good and long. If you're experiencing humidity, you may need to beat the icing for 15 minutes or longer. If it's too stiff to pipe with, just thin it with a couple drops of water.

Diane, I was just wondering what does the extra beating do to help with humidity?

vickymacd Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 1:15am
post #8 of 21

Helen,
Thank you for taking the time to include a photo with the wings!! And the tip help! Will let you know how it turns out. Can't start it till later on tonight. Thanks again!

antonia74 Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 1:27am
post #9 of 21

An even better way of explaining those tiny piped wings would be....like a comma shape. In one smooth movement I did a dot, went up a teeny bit and around in a circle and down on a curve inwards...letting the icing thin out into a trail at the bottom.

icon_confused.gif That might not make sense, but I hope it does. A comma, yes that's as close as I can explain it!

DianeLM Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 4:06am
post #10 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shola

Quote:

Make sure you beat it good and long. If you're experiencing humidity, you may need to beat the icing for 15 minutes or longer. If it's too stiff to pipe with, just thin it with a couple drops of water.

Diane, I was just wondering what does the extra beating do to help with humidity?

Sometimes, in high humidity, it takes the icing longer to reach the stiff peak stage, that's all. icon_smile.gif

Shola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shola Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 4:12am
post #11 of 21
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shola

Quote:

Sometimes, in high humidity, it takes the icing longer to reach the stiff peak stage, that's all. icon_smile.gif

Ah, okies thanks! I wonder if it's the same for meringue? My meringue seems to take ages to form! (Super high humidity here!)

vickymacd Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 12:22pm
post #12 of 21

Thanks, Everyone, today starts the project and hope it dries since I'm getting such a late start on it! Temps are 94 degrees here in Michigan today!! Ugh!

antonia74 Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 10:08pm
post #13 of 21

Everyone here is right!

On REALLY humid days you can cut back a tablespoon or so on the water you add or just put in an extra few tablespoons of icing sugar into the royal icing to compensate.

vickymacd Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 11:42pm
post #14 of 21

Helen,
I used your exact recipe since I had used it before with wonderful results! I finished all the angel wings, although I have them all different looks since I didn't have the tip that you recommended, so I used a few different ones trying to achieve the look. And then when Ifound a tip that I liked, I couldn't do it with the left side of the wing. So, I kind of gave up and decided what I did is fine enough! After all, I'm not doing this for a client, just my daughter's party friends. But I used the parchment paper and they are already dry but I don't want to touch them till tomorrow when I place them on the cupcakes. But the parchment paper was perfect, thank you for that tip as well!

Was going to tint the frosting, but decided to just add sprinkles for the coloring. Will post a pic when they are finished tomorrow.

Thank you all so much!!

DianeLM Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 1:13pm
post #15 of 21

Parchment paper is great for freehanded pieces. Do keep the Saran wrap in mind, tho, for when you'll be copying a pattern underneath.

Another great product for freehand is Reynolds Non-stick foil. It's a little TOO good sometimes. I've had small royal pieces slide off before I even touched them!

vickymacd Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 2:06pm
post #16 of 21

Thanks, Diane, good to know!
Can't wait till cuppies are cool enough to accent them.
Also making a cake as well.
Will post when done.

vickymacd Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 11:55pm
post #17 of 21

Well, here is the Angel cupcake with the Helen's recipe for Royal Icing. It dried perfectly and very quickly!! Thank you all again! The Devil ones I made out of candy clay and I don't like them as much. Wish I would have done those in the royal as well!
LL

antonia74 Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 2:25am
post #18 of 21

Beautiful job! thumbs_up.gif I love the edible glitter you added too, nice touch.

vickymacd Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 3:25am
post #19 of 21

Thanks! The tip that you referred to....is it a special one? I have so many tips, but not the 32. I don't even know which one I wound up with either. Just like you said, you can make a ton of them fast.

I just delivered all of them to the club where my daughter was having the party. Everyone that was there was so giggly about the cuppies since all the girls were either angels or devils and the guys wore either red or white. It was pretty cool.
Thanks so much again.

antonia74 Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 4:11pm
post #20 of 21

Nope, it's just a standard small French tip. Maybe you have one that's similar? Here's the store where I buy mine from. They mainly carry the Ateco brand tips, but I like those better anyway. Usually the Wilton brand is pretty close in numbering though?

http://www.goldaskitchen.com/merchant.ihtml?id=41&pid=841&step=4
LL

vickymacd Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 8:25pm
post #21 of 21

I had the 32 but not the 22. Guess I'll try that too now since it didn't seem like it would have worked. Thought I misunderstood your directions. either way, most of them turned out great and help up in our humidity and heat! I think this last batch (other than the cookies from 2 years ago) turned out the best and was the best to work with!
Thanks so much again, especially for the parchment paper tip!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%