Red Food Coloring Alternatives For Red Velvet Cake

Decorating By djs328 Updated 28 Jul 2008 , 5:38pm by frostingfairy

djs328 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
djs328 Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 7:49pm
post #1 of 7

Hi there! New to the site, but loving it!

Anyone have an idea of what type of RED coloring to use for Red Velvet cake? Don't want the nasty taste associated with most reds...Gel? Paste? Don't want to go with McCormick's or the like...yuk!
Help, please! icon_smile.gif

6 replies
emrldsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emrldsky Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 8:14pm
post #2 of 7

Wilton makes a no-taste Red that could work. Other than that, I dunno. I'm sure many others will have advice. icon_biggrin.gif

HTH!

danijus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
danijus Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 2:52am
post #3 of 7

I use americolor red. You don't have to add much.

soygurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soygurl Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 5:38am
post #4 of 7

Hmm.... I always though that nasty taste was what most people LIKE about Red Velvet cake! icon_confused.gif Personally, I hate the stuff myself, but I'm pretty sure that McCormick's Liquid Red color (taste included) is just PART of the cake... icon_rolleyes.gif

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 8:07pm
post #5 of 7

General recipes for red velvet call for the use of the type of watery food color that you use to dye Easter eggs. The common amount is 2 TBSPS or 1 ounce.

I find that the watered down stuff is so minute in the cake that it imparts NO TASTE AT ALL.

I use a doctored Duncan Hines Red Velvet mix and it tastes great.

HTH
Rae

stephaniescakenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephaniescakenj Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 3:27am
post #6 of 7

Americolor works the best, only a tiny bit will do the trick. I made a magenta cake just the other day for my friend and the icing turned bitter though. I mixed pink and red and used way too much color becuase I just couldn't get the color right. you won't have that problem if you just use a few drops though, that's all it needs anyway.

frostingfairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frostingfairy Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 5:38pm
post #7 of 7

A vegetarian cookbook I use sometimes has a chocolate cake that uses pureed beet and beet juice for the liquid (similar to using prunes or applesauce). It gives the chocolate cake a reddish hue, but doesn't taste like beets. Beet juice is definitely more natural than food color icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%