I Don't Like How My Cakes Taste!!

Decorating By SweetPea0613 Updated 20 Jul 2008 , 1:53pm by Jewels19

SweetPea0613 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetPea0613 Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 6:30pm
post #1 of 14

Is it just me or do your cakes taste weird to you too?? icon_confused.gif

Everyone says that they taste so good and they compliment me on them, but for some reason I so don't agree..lol

Maybe it's because I'M the one making it and I know how the icing is made and it seems disgusting to me...lol

I dunno...Maybe I'm just crazy...

thanks for "listening" icon_biggrin.gif

13 replies
SweetPea0613 Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 6:34pm
post #2 of 14

Sorry about the double posts...my computer is acting weird icon_redface.gif

sari66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sari66 Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 6:42pm
post #3 of 14

icon_confused.gif nope i've never had this issue. So what about the cake don't u like?

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 6:50pm
post #4 of 14

What kinds of cakes are you baking? Mixes, doctored mixes, scratch? I don't like eating cake much, so when I make cakes.. they BETTER taste good.. icon_lol.gif. I figure if I.. a non-cake lover.. really enjoy the flavor it's a good recipe. icon_wink.gif That and I have eager taste testers.

Maybe if you let us know what you are baking.. we can make suggestions? icon_smile.gif

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 6:51pm
post #5 of 14

As long as your customers are happy, then what's the problem?! If you are making a cake YOU have to eat, then make it with an icing you DO like. I don't like all the flavours of cake that I offer, but it doesn't stop me making or selling them because other people like them - anyway, it helps keep the pounds off because at least I'm not nibbling away at the trimmings lol!

Aliwis000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aliwis000 Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 7:00pm
post #6 of 14

I KNOW HOW YOU FEEL!!! I cannot eat my cake! It is just gross to me. I am not a big fan of the buttercream i use after it is on the cake. My family seems to like it but I really want to find a combo that I taste and go "wow that is so good!". Dont feel bad I know where you are coming from!

Shazzana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shazzana Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 7:06pm
post #7 of 14

sweet pea, im in the same boat but as long as no one complains and continues to compliment your cakes you'll be o.k. I love cake but im my own worst critic.

SweetPea0613 Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 7:08pm
post #8 of 14

Well at least somebody feels like I do...LOL icon_lol.gif

I've just been using cake mixes and adding the egg and pudding, but for some reason I think it tastes better as is....

But I guess all that matters is that everyone else likes it.

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 7:08pm
post #9 of 14

Hmmm.. Now this is a major problem! icon_wink.gif

Let's see... what icing do you use? If you use a Crisco based, switched to all butter ones like SMBC. At least SMBC doesn't clog your arteries!

Or if you don't like the cake.... are you using a cake mix or scratch. If it's a cake mix, try a different cake mix. Switch from DH to BC or something.

Try a different recipe or different flavorings. Substitute coffee creamers for some of the water in the cake and/or BC. You can make vanilla caramel or hazelnut or creme brulee. Or try a flavored syrup to substitute.

jennifer7777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennifer7777 Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 7:09pm
post #10 of 14

I'm with previous posts...what about the cake don't you like?
Have you tried different flavoring or recipes?
Need more info.

SweetPea0613 Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 7:11pm
post #11 of 14

Well at least somebody feels like I do...LOL icon_lol.gif

I've just been using cake mixes and adding the egg and pudding, but for some reason I think it tastes better as is....

But I guess all that matters is that everyone else likes it.

jennifer7777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennifer7777 Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 7:13pm
post #12 of 14

O.K...some posts loaded before mine...I would suggest trying a different cake mix or adding vanilla or other flavorings in your mix. But if you think you like it better without added extras, then make it how you like it.

I've found that in this cake world there is ALWAYS some type of experimenting going on because there are thousands of recipes! AND sometimes you may like one thing one day, then turn around and not like it anymore.

Just experiment...see what you like, and see what your customers like.
I know me personally, there are some box mixes that taste like cardboard to me, but they taste better if I add extra eggs, pudding and sour cream. You just have to go thru the trial & error process.

decoratingfool Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
decoratingfool Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 7:27pm
post #13 of 14

Well i have to tell you, i was like that but like everyone said try adding things to your mix like coffee creamers instead of milk or water, flavorings just experiment... BUT i have to say i finally made WASC and im in love, i have done it with almond flavoe and with all vanilla and i love them both.. EVERYBODY told me to never change the recipes they all think it is the best!!!!!!!

And for the frostings im not a huge buttercream fan either, but again i add flavorings to mine i love almond, so i add that, plus i use heavy whipping cream instead of milk bit difference. also i have used lemon orange and vanilla and that was wonderful too, so i say just play around and have fun..

Jewels19 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jewels19 Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 1:53pm
post #14 of 14

what is WASC.. and SMBC.. i know BC is buttercream. anyway, i'm new to this, i use mixes and add butter flavoring for yellow cake 1 tsp and i was wondering what i should add to chocolate cake. i have tried using the coffee creamers in place of some of the liquid and like that... what should i add to white cake mixes, if anything? some almond extract?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%