How To Do A Dummie Cake?

Decorating By mashmellow Updated 17 Jul 2008 , 4:42pm by missmeg

mashmellow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mashmellow Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 1:31am
post #1 of 16

Hi can someone tell me if there is a tutorial on how to make a dummie cake, I am new at cake decorating, just finich my silton curses and would like to practice, My family doesen`t want more cake, and I can`t eat them for medical reasons. I want to take pictures , and keep them for reference. I will appreciate your help. icon_sad.gif

15 replies
Tona Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tona Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 2:19am
post #2 of 16

Go to Global Sugar Art.com and order the size cake dummy you want to do. If you are covering it in Fondant you can put a thin layer of piping gel on the dummy to assist the fondant in sticking. I use royal icing to glue the dummy to the cake board then decorate as you would a normal cake

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 3:26am
post #3 of 16

A list mist of water on the dummy will also adhere the fondant.

beagledog100 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beagledog100 Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 5:24pm
post #4 of 16

You guys are awesome! I was just going to post this exact question as I want to practice my skills, but my waistline can't handle me eating more cake.

When you use the dummy is it a problem to keep scraping the old icing off? Does it get all gummed up?

scnix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scnix Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 5:43pm
post #5 of 16

Also you need to bevil the edges or roll them to soften them up. The fondant can tear a little if the edges are too hard.

mashmellow Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 2:10am
post #6 of 16

Thank for your help, another question. How long can I keep te dummy cake ? do I need to use a diffrent kind of BC or I just use the same recepie. I use willton`s , Just one more, i stack the same and do evrything like in a nomal cake right?

tomatoqeen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tomatoqeen Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 4:10am
post #7 of 16

Not to hijack your post, but I am also doing my first dummy cake. I have 2 actual cake dummies, but I want to use some "craft type" styrofoam. Would I need to treat the styro different than the cake dummies? I think I need to coat it with something first to even out the holes...royal?? Thanks for your help!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 11:58am
post #8 of 16

You really need to use the stryo that's made for cake. The other styro "eats" through the icing. Someone used craft styro for a dummy cake at our state fair a few years ago. After sitting for several days the icing was disappearing and the styro was showing. Sorry but I had to laugh.

kharvey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kharvey Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 12:13pm
post #9 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mashmellow

Thank for your help, another question. How long can I keep te dummy cake ? do I need to use a diffrent kind of BC or I just use the same recepie. I use willton`s , Just one more, i stack the same and do evrything like in a nomal cake right?

I have used dummies several times. I also use the wilton bc recipe. I have not decorated one to keep, but I would assume that as long as the icing and decoration still looks okay it should be fine. As far as stacking, I always stack as if it were a real cake. If the dummy will have another tier on top of it, you will not need to use the dowel rods because the dummy can hold the weight of the cake on its own. Dummies are a great way to build your portfolio. You can decorate them, take a picture and then scrape off the icing and decorate again. If you let the icing dry for a day or two, it is easier to scrape off. Then I wash them with dish detergent to remove the excess icing and any residue. Good Luck!!

CParris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CParris Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 12:16pm
post #10 of 16

You can use craft foam as long as you cover it with saran wrap first. That way the icing doesn't get clogged in the pores of the Styrofoam and cleanup is a breeze.

missmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missmeg Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 1:43pm
post #11 of 16

I'm doing this for the first time this week. I purchased 6/8/10 round dummies from a local cake store.

Last night I iced them completely in RI icing, after covering them in Press & Seal. I'll leave them to completely harden over the next few days. I figure this way I can decorate the dummies in bc, take a pic, then scrape off the decorations and start again.

cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 1:57pm
post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by missmeg

I'm doing this for the first time this week. I purchased 6/8/10 round dummies from a local cake store.

Last night I iced them completely in RI icing, after covering them in Press & Seal. I'll leave them to completely harden over the next few days. I figure this way I can decorate the dummies in bc, take a pic, then scrape off the decorations and start again.

Just a question, can you puchase RI powder or something i hate making the stuff, im also doing one for the fair, this year, not sure if it will turn out,

cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 1:57pm
post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by missmeg

Just a question, can you puchase RI powder or something i hate making the stuff, im also doing one for the fair, this year, not sure if it will turn out,

jenlg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenlg Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 2:08pm
post #14 of 16

Just a suggestion...don't have to take it if you don't want to. I cover my dummies with clear packing tape instead of saran wrap. Much smoother look with the icing and very easy to clean off. Lasts longer then saran wrap I figure.

mashmellow Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 4:40pm
post #15 of 16

great, I will star doing them this weekend.

Another Question (Sorry) the plastic dasen't make the BC or fondant slip off when you are icing ?

missmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missmeg Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 4:42pm
post #16 of 16

I had no problems with it last night. Iced up like a dream. Not as crisp corners as I would like, but I was in a bit of a hurry.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%