Need Help Family Reunion Cake

Decorating By BethG Updated 18 Jul 2008 , 1:12am by knel

BethG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BethG Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 2:37pm
post #1 of 8

Have been asked to do a family reunion cake.. The theme this year is Italian. Need HELP with an idea.. I was thinking of doing an Eiffel Tower cake but was told that was not Italian. So DH says so. LOL. Any suggestions would be helpful..

7 replies
willo25w Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
willo25w Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 1:48pm
post #2 of 8

I have a reunion coming up on August 2nd, but it's not themed I'll take any ideas for a reunion as well. Thanks

sadiepix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadiepix Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 9:22pm
post #3 of 8

Oh fun.
Yeah, Eiffel Tower is in France. Maybe you were thinking of the Leaning Tower of Pisa? That would make a cool cake!

You could do any of the gorgeous places in Rome, or Venice etc.

You could make your cake look like an Italian food?

Cannoli cake would be awesome too.

Good luck and have fun!

@Willo--I did a reunion cake for friends a couple years ago and I did a family tree. (Not as elaborate as the one another member has posted about wow!)

Mine was just a center cake "trunk, iced in brown and textured, with chocolate "branches heading off in I think eight directions. At the end of each "branch" was a 6 inch cake I had cut to look like a basic leaf shape and iced green. The main family names were then printed in a nice script on the leaves, and the main name on the trunk.
My decorating skills were not as good then, but the idea was fun!

knel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
knel Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 9:35pm
post #4 of 8

Just a thought: I am a school teacher, and I did a bulletin board once with a humongous bunch of grapes with each child's name on it. The title was "A grape new bunch"...

How about doing a bunch of 6 inch round cakes, placed by one another to form a bunch, iced in purple/green icing, with each family's name on a "grape"? Then maybe, a bigger round cake could be cut into leaves for the top and stem of the bunch. You could even do some fondant curly Q's coming out of the middle of the bunch in places.... You could do a caption, saying something about "The Family Bunch" or something cheesy like that......

Maybe the whole idea is cheesy... My fourth graders sure like it.... Ha ha ha!!!

sadiepix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadiepix Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 10:52pm
post #5 of 8

@knel- Now THAT is a cool idea! Love it!

knel Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 2:18am
post #6 of 8

I forget sometimes that I taught 4th grade for 9 years, and I currently stay at home with a 2 year old, so quite often there are some simplistic, corny ideas... LOL!

I've always wanted to do a "family tree" cake like the ones seen in Wilton's magazines, but we would have "family bushes" because our families are enormous!!!! I think they are such a great idea.

willo25w Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
willo25w Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 11:52pm
post #7 of 8

Thank you so much guys, will do the grape theme, I LOVE IT!

knel Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 1:12am
post #8 of 8

PLEASE post a pic and let me see the finished product!!! I know how cute it is as a bulletin board, so I'm super anxious to see how it looks as a cake!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%