Hotel For Wilton Course, Darien...

Decorating By kettlevalleygirl Updated 27 Apr 2011 , 1:09pm by jckjones29

kettlevalleygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kettlevalleygirl Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 11:51pm
post #1 of 7

It is looking like I have an opportunity to sign up for the two week master class at Wilton. I have looked at their lists, and read through the hotel info, but just thought I would as people who have stayed. And any other ideas for when I go to the course?? Trasportation to the class every day?
Thanks in Advance!

6 replies
kettlevalleygirl Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 4:30am
post #2 of 7

ANYBODY OUT THERE??
COME ON THERE MUST BE SOMEONE!! icon_biggrin.gif

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 6:03am
post #3 of 7

I've stayed at 2 different hotels while attending the Wilton School.

My favorite is the Holiday Inn-Willowbrook at 7800 SOUTH KINGERY HWY. I fly into Midway on Southwest and the HI has a free shuttle (saves $70 roundtrip cab fare). I'm a member of the Priority Club (free) and I get a buffet breakfast (great food) each day and coupons for other goodies (their EarlyBird dinner specials are cheap & really good). The shuttle takes me into class each day and back to the hotel (saves car rental charges). Rooms are clean & large. Internet, etc. I've gotten Entertainment rates that are super low, but if that's not available, you can call the hotel direct and I think they can give you a good rate for a 2 week stay. Make sure to tell them that you're going to Wilton, too.

The other hotel that I've used is the Marriott Towne Place--Downer's Grove. The rooms are lovely with full kitchens. They have a shuttle (a little harder to use because the hotel is about twice as far from the school) and the breakfast isn't quite as nice. There are some nice restaurants within walking distance. Call them directly for the Wilton rate for 2 weeks.

Many people stay at the Extended Stays listed on the website. Although cheap, you get what you pay for (one of my classmates got bed bugs....)--thin walls, lots of cooking odors, dogs barking, hard mattresses, 3am fire alarms, etc.

If you can swing a few extra $s, please stay at one of the other properties....

HTH
Rae

kettlevalleygirl Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 6:38pm
post #4 of 7

THANK YOU, THANK YOU,
You answered my questions without me asking...first the shuttle from the airport, although, I will be coming from Vancouver, so I think I may be flying in to the main airport, the drive to and from the shuttle to class, and the breakfast!! Very important to start the day with a good meal!
I don't want to rent a car, so this is perfect...
Lorene

Have fun on the cruise!

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 7:48pm
post #5 of 7

Glad to be of help.

Now, if you fly into O'Hare (ugghhh!--big,somewhat tough to navigate airport), the Holiday Inn shuttle doesn't operate from there (it's farther from the school than Midway). You'd have 2 options: I believe Super Shuttle can get you to the hotel, but I believe the one way fare would be over $35. Another option is to take the CTA (rapid transit) to Midway (but that requires a change of trains from the blue line to the orange line in downtown Chicago at the Loop). It takes about an hour and then the hotel shuttle will come to pick you up at the Midway stop (end of the orange line).

In your shoes, I'd fly right into Midway and go from there. I did an Orbitz search of flights from Vancouver to MDW and I see that quite a few airlines make that trip. The cheapest/easiest way might be to get to Seattle and take a Southwest Airlines flight.

HTH
Rae

kettlevalleygirl Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 9:35pm
post #6 of 7

Thanks again, yes we often fly out of Bellingham, which hooks up to Seattle, I will definately check out the flights from there.
And, yes Chicago is a big airport, I was there a year ago, with my husband on business. This time I will be all by myself!! So the easier, it is the better!
Lorene

jckjones29 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jckjones29 Posted 27 Apr 2011 , 1:09pm
post #7 of 7

Nice topic related with Wilton course,This hotel have several room features,MP3 Alarm Clock, Refrigerator and Microwave in every room,42 inch LCD television,Coffee maker with complimentary coffee and tea,Two phone lines with voicemail, speaker phone and data ports.I desided me and my wife are visit this hotel in November.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%