Scroll Work On Fondant

Decorating By chele_belle Updated 13 Jul 2008 , 5:18pm by becklynn

chele_belle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chele_belle Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 1:31pm
post #1 of 7

I have a wedding cake in August. Since it is an outdoor wedding and heat and humidity is a concern I was going to use fondant. The bride wants scroll work on the sides of the cake. I haven't done a lot of writing or scrolls on the sides of cakes so my hand isn't as steady as I would like. Are there any short cuts like maybe doing something like a BCFT? I'm not sure if it would stick or if the BC would melt. I could really use any suggestions anyone could give.

TIA,
Chele icon_smile.gif

6 replies
DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 2:30pm
post #2 of 7

You can wrap your scroll templates around dummies the same size as your cake tiers, then wrap with plastic wrap and pipe your scrolls with royal icing. (Or, if you can work fast enough, pipe the scrolls on a flat surface then quickly wrap them around your dummy before they start to dry.)

Once dry, CAREFULLY remove them from the dummy and pipe some more. You'll need A LOT of extras to account for breakage.

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 4:29pm
post #3 of 7

Hi chele, I have a wedding cake with scroll works to do next week. what I thought I would do is, I would imprint my scrolls on the fondant using the Wilton Scroll set and then pipe over it with Royal Icing. But my hands are not steady. So the other option that I have is, that I would use my Sugar Shaper with the tiny hole disc, go over the imprints. icon_smile.gif

DianeLM Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 4:31pm
post #4 of 7

Oh, another thing you can do is extrude a thin fondant rope from a clay gun and form the scrolls and let them firm up before sticking to the cake.

chele_belle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chele_belle Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 4:58pm
post #5 of 7

Thanks for the ideas, I may go with the fondant idea since she doesn't want thin scroll work. do you think that it would stay in place in the heat and humidity? I've not tried it so I'm leary of doing this for a wedding cake without knowing for sure how ity will act.

Thanks,
Chele

DianeLM Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 5:13pm
post #6 of 7

The scrolls will stay in place as well as you can expect anything to stay in place in the August heat! Use gum glue to adhere the scrolls. They won't budge. thumbs_up.gif

becklynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
becklynn Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 5:18pm
post #7 of 7

I would use thw Wilton Scroll set too.
OR
You could stencil some scrolls onto the sides with royal icing or buttercream. There is place called Culinary Stencils that sells stencils for the tops and sides of cakes. There is also a demo video on their website. I have not tried this yet, but it could be another option. Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%