Need Help With Flowers

Decorating By CakesbyBecca Updated 12 Jul 2008 , 2:31am by TexasSugar

CakesbyBecca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyBecca Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 6:18pm
post #1 of 6

I'm making a cake for my church bunco night. I was told Summertime theme, but the decorations they've already bought are more a Hawaiian theme, so I'm going with that. I have the design of the cake pretty much figured out, but I need some help with the flowers. I'm making a 3-tier cake and would like to put a lei around the bottom of each tier. Here's my problem. The only flower I've ever made out of fondant is roses and I've never touched gum paste in my life. I am definitely not opposed to learning, though. So, I have 3 weeks until the cake is due. What easy-to-learn Hawaiian flowers can I use for my lei and where can I find instructions/tutorials on how to make them?
Thanks!

Becca

5 replies
LeanneW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeanneW Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 9:19pm
post #2 of 6

you can try this tutorial and then string the flowers together for a lei.

good luck, sounds like a fun theme.

CakesbyBecca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyBecca Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 11:10pm
post #3 of 6

Thanks! I'll check it out.

Becca

Staceface81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Staceface81 Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 1:07am
post #4 of 6

I saw this thread the other day. Maybe this will help?

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-593402-hibiscus.html

lorijom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorijom Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 1:48am
post #5 of 6

A really easy tropical flower is the frangipani, aka plumeria, flower...but I don't know where to refer you to for a tutorial. If you have any decorating books you might find it in there..another nice thing they don't require any cutters. Some cutters are sold for them but I find it easier to make without the cutter.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 2:31am
post #6 of 6

In the 2006 yearbook there is a Plumeria how to.

If you know any royal icings flowers, I think you could make a hibiscus using the petunia directions, the larger lilly nail and some of the white stamens from Wilton.

There was also a cool tropical buttercream flower that was posted on here not too long ago. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%