Freezing A Decorated Cake?

Decorating By pmaucher Updated 14 Jul 2008 , 11:14pm by mommakristin

pmaucher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmaucher Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 1:53pm
post #1 of 7

Is it possible to freeze a decorated cake (with fondant)? The problem I'm faced with is my father-in-law is having his annual picnic, and he lives two hours away. I would like to surprise him with the cake, but I will be unable to decorated the cake while at his house. I wanted to know if I could make the cake early, then freeze it. I would transport it in a cooler on thursday night, then refrigerate once there. Since it will obviously begin to thaw alittle in the cooler, I will refrigerate the cake until Sat. (Party).
Is this possible or am I asking to much of the cake?

6 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 1:59pm
post #2 of 7

I put fondant cakes in my frige but I would not put mine in the freezer.

I think you could just keep it chilled, not frozen and have great results if you are careful about letting it gradually warming to room temperature. If you take it right out of the frige to outdoor temperature at the picnic, it might sweat to death.

pmaucher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmaucher Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 2:02pm
post #3 of 7

Will the cake still be good if I make it on Thur morning, refrigerate, then take out on Sat morning to give it time to sweat?

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 2:26pm
post #4 of 7

I have frozen a couple of completely decorated fondant cakes with no problems whatsoever. But I do suggest thawing in the refrigerator so there is less condensation--the ice chest is probably fine as long as nothing is touching the cake.

mommakristin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommakristin Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 3:54pm
post #5 of 7

As a matter of fact, I have a decorated cake in my freezer right now. I am crossing my fingers that it comes out and transports to the party okay. I did not have the room in my fridge for the pretty large cake!!! I will let ya know when I deliver the cake today how it turned out with the freezer. I plan on taking it out of the freezer about two hours before I take it and try to thaw it a little before I deliver it!CROSS YOUR FINGERS!!! icon_lol.gif

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 2:51pm
post #6 of 7

I hope it turned out okay! I wish I would've read this yesterday as 2 hrs is not long enough for it to thaw from the freezer and for the condensation to dry.

mommakristin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommakristin Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 11:14pm
post #7 of 7

Well i got the cake delivered and it did ok. I graduated from the freezer to the fridge for two hours then took it to the party. i did nearly freeze myself out of my car trying to keep it cool just to make sure it didnt slide down the cake! It was a success and everyone loved it but you are right two hours is not long enough to get rid of the condensation

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%