Achieve This Green

Decorating By ahuvas Updated 13 Jul 2008 , 3:02pm by msgwinn

ahuvas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ahuvas Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 12:06pm
post #1 of 14

Hi

I am making the debbie brown frog cake on Sunday and I need to mix this green. It is almost a golden yellow green - leave green is too fluorescent.

RIght now I own Wilton Leaf green, moss green, kelly green, juniper green, golden yellow, lemon yellow and brown (amongst other colours).

Can any one suggest a combination which I could try out to achieve the frog green in this photos?

http://www.debbiebrownscakes.co.uk/50_easy_party_cakes/pages/friendly_frog_jpg.htm

13 replies
jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 12:42pm
post #2 of 14

It looks to me like you would start out making it yellow, then add small amts of leaf green until you get the right shade.

Michelle104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michelle104 Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 12:57pm
post #3 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jammjenks

It looks to me like you would start out making it yellow, then add small amts of leaf green until you get the right shade.

LOL!!! thumbs_up.gif DD and I were just discussing this and looking at the photo and decided this exactly and then we read your response! icon_lol.gif I think I would start with golden yellow, add leaf green until desired and then if you need a little more depth you could add a tiny bit of juniper or brown....tiny bit....

PattyT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PattyT Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 12:59pm
post #4 of 14

I did a Ben10 cake and cookies and needed a crazy bright green. I got the Americolor Electric Green. It's here on Global Sugar Art.

http://globalsugarart.com/cat.php?cid=858&s=15

It might need a bit of yellow to get to the frog color, but start out light and it might be just right.

If you don't have time to order - I like the other's ideas about starting with the yellow and adding green.

HTH

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 12:59pm
post #5 of 14

Doesent the book tell you what colors to use/mix ? I would try a lemon yellow and kelly green a little at a time !Do you have any of the neon colors ? Maybe a dab of yellow or green in the neon will give you that kind of bright glow look ?

momvarden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momvarden Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 1:07pm
post #6 of 14

Something that a teacher taught me was to color the fondant different chuncks of it with each colorthat you are planning on using and than add them to the primary color base that you are using. I agree the comments in the colors to use.

I hope that helps or make sense.

ahuvas Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 1:53pm
post #7 of 14

Hi, All the book says for this cake is yellow, green and black coloring.

I think I will start off with the golden yellow and leaf green and keep on adding little bits until I get the right color and then add a tiny amount of brought to add the depth so its not quite so flouro.

Thanks all. Ill post when I am finished.

_angel_1974 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
_angel_1974 Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 5:00am
post #8 of 14

That's like a chartreuse color. You could try mixing 5 parts Lemon Yellow with 1 part Leaf Green.

post #9 of 14

That's like a chartreuse color. You could try mixing 5 parts Lemon Yellow with 1 part Leaf Green.

post #10 of 14

ahuvas Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 1:58pm
post #11 of 14

THanks

In a unrelated question, what is the best way to stop a cake slipping around a cake board when transporting? I nearly lost a cake the other day because of it? SHould I have put some buttercream or something down before I placed the cake on the board?

NikkiDoc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NikkiDoc Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 2:06pm
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle104

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammjenks

LOL!!! thumbs_up.gif DD and I were just discussing this and looking at the photo and decided this exactly and then we read your response! icon_lol.gif I think I would start with golden yellow, add leaf green until desired and then if you need a little more depth you could add a tiny bit of juniper or brown....tiny bit....

LOL! And me as well! Look at the frogs eyes and compare them to the frog. It does look alot like it started yellow and then green was added. Very cute frog!

bellejoey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bellejoey Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 2:27pm
post #13 of 14

ahuvas..yes, a giant dab of buttercream on the board will do the trick so that your cake will not slide around. icon_smile.gif

msgwinn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msgwinn Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 3:02pm
post #14 of 14

Hi You actually need a lime green and then start to add a couple drops at a time of black. A general rule of thumb if you ever need a color that looks dusty or dirty such as country blue you would always add black. In your frogs case you might want to alternate black and brown. I work at a cake bakery only for over two years and have been mixing color for 15 years.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%