I Would Dearly Love Help With Handling Large Cakes

Decorating By pamconn Updated 11 Jul 2008 , 1:42pm by pamconn

pamconn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pamconn Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 4:27am
post #1 of 6

How do you handle your large cakes? I mean wrapping them to freeze, flipping them over, torting, etc. I hope this makes sense. I'm a bit afraid that I'll break it when I flip it when I'm wrapping it to freeze and when torting.

Any help would be appreciated.

5 replies
karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 8:34am
post #2 of 6

I use boards a lot. When I flip them to wrap, I always wrap them while on a cardboard. When I torte, I slide a thin cookie sheet under the layer to pick it up.

I just can't pick them up and flip them around unless they are already frozen....they break too easily

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 11:53am
post #3 of 6

Me too - quite a bit of flipping is involved to wrap and freeze. icon_smile.gif This sounds like alot of work, but it is so much easier to handle large layers once frozen... and during the wrapping in plastic wrap, the cake layer needs to be supported or it will crack... Hope this makes sense!

first, I bake all layers with a layer of parchment in the bottom, IMO it helps hold the cake together when moving it around.

To level the top, I flip the cake off the cooling rack onto a sheet of plastic wrap on my work surface. Once leveled, I ease a 12x18 sheet of plexiglass underneath between worksurface and plastic wrap (you can also use boards). I then lay more sheets of plastic wrap on the top of the cake and lay the cooling rack on top to flip again. wrap up with the plastic wrap and flip again back onto plexiglass and freeze. I flip a total of three times.

The layers freeze solid, the plexiglass is sturdy and doesn't absorb moisture and the cake once frozen is sturdy enough to handle without boards.

I don't torte 12x18 sheets, as I find it's easier to work with two full frozen 2" layers. But you can slip a board in the torte to support/freeze.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 12:46pm
post #4 of 6

I don't do THAT many very large layers, but when I have them I start out putting plastic wrap on my countertop. Then I flip it out of the pan onto that to level. Once leveled, I wrap with the plastic wrap it is sitting on and freeze that way. If I have 2 layers, I wrap and freeze them together. To move it, I slide a board under and just move it. To flip it, I use one board on bottom and one board on top.

skaggs1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
skaggs1 Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 1:14pm
post #5 of 6

I had this problem just last night so what I did after the cake was cooled and leveled I popped into the freezer on a piece of cardboard, just long enough until it was firm enough to wrap it up in cling wrap. It worked great!

pamconn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pamconn Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 1:42pm
post #6 of 6

Oh thank you all so much icon_smile.gif That all made sense to me. You've explained it very well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%