My First Tasting - What Do I Need To Know?

Decorating By patrincia Updated 11 Jul 2008 , 3:38pm by tktexasgirl

patrincia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patrincia Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 12:42am
post #1 of 4

Hi everyone - I'm doing a wedding cake for a friend's daughter. The bride has requested a tasting. This will be my first - I have a few cake and buttercream choices for them to mix and match together. The bride has already shown me the cake design she wants.

I have the cake serving chart, the portfolio, cake books, clean house, and will be sure there are no interuptions, etc.

The only questions I thought about asking are:
What kind of cake stand have you decided to use?
Will there be a topper or flowers on the top tier?
Will the top tier be saved for the 1st anniversary?
Who will cut the cake/serve the cake?
How long will the cake be on display?
What time is the reception?
How early can I deliver the cake to the rec. site?
Contact numbers in case of an emergency?

I've already given her a price range for the cake and I told her I would need a day or so to give her a final price once they decide on the cake/buttercream flavors and cake construction - she knows I'm not in the business and don't have prices set for this and that - she's fine with that.

Do I need to provide something for them to "cleanse their palates" between flavors? Is there anything else I need to do or keep in mind? Am my I forgetting anything?

TIA for any advice you seasoned pros can offer icon_smile.gif.

3 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 1:06am
post #2 of 4

Offer at least some ice water .. at the very least, it's just common courtesy to offer something to drink when you "feed a guest" in your home.

patrincia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patrincia Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 2:37am
post #3 of 4

Thanks Debi.

Anyone else???

tktexasgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tktexasgirl Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 3:38pm
post #4 of 4

I have heard that fortune cookies are used to "cleanse" that is why they give them to you. I don't know if it is true or not, but if you can try it before the testing that may help.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%